• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU "raw" horsepower or high mem bandwidth - whats more important?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozziegn

as the title says.

I've been playing around with my system (as usual :D ) and I can either have high mem bandwidth or high CPU clock speeds but I cannot have both cuz I have to use the 3:2 divider which kills my mem bandwidth.

so my question is, do you guys think that one is better than the other or does it really matter?

system details are in my sig.

check this out:

I've been playing with my setup and now look at what she's running at:

CPU_speed_latest.jpg

I now have my "raw" horsepower and good mem bandwidth again.

what a deal. ;)

Cool! Glad you were able to find the sweet spot.

But to answer your question: It all depends on the app you are running. Some programs are more dependent on clock cycles and others eat all the memory bandwidth you can throw at it.

BHD

get some good pc3700 loosen up the timings and and see if itll run a 6/5 divider, cause that would be a shame to waste any part of that 300 fsb and 3.6 cpu speed youre gettin... thats one hell of a nice overclock........

My experience with 3dmark is Raw CPU speed gave me higher marks then higher mem bandwidth on my BD7II board, for instance a 175mhz FSB 1:1 on my P4 2.26ghz had a better score then running my FSB 165(lower CPU) with a 3:4 memory ratio close to 218mhz.:rolleyes: Best bet is to benchmark both with an application that combines both memory and cpu situations at the same time(3dmark 2001) instead of sisoft sandra that does individual benchmarks, but hell there fun too :D

I remember reading from the [H] where Zroc did some pretty intensive testing with the new Canterwoods and he suggested that RAW Mhz was better than mem bandwidth.

Example of an extreme case of an application favouring cpu horsepower over mem bandwidth:
Falcon4 - I benchmarked this flight sim at DDR266 and DDR400 with everything else being equal and the difference was 1 fps.
But for cpu, 25 [email protected] -> 34 fps @2.4GHz

Cheers

Back