• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help With Is7!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gouda96

WHERE DO YOU GET BIOS UPDATES FOR THIS BOARD. There is no mention of this board on abit's website. I have heard of people updating bios, which fixes quite a few problems for this board.

I do see in beta drivers they have an update for the is7-g bios. Would this work for the is7?

IS7

The readme included in the zip says it will work for the is7 series. I downloaded and installed it to see if it would correct my problem but alas it did not.

With an Abit IS7, 2.40c Pentium 4, and two sticks of Corsair XMS 3200 cas 2, My system would reset at 200/200, programs would drop to desktop at 200/166, and run flawlessly at 200/133. I tried each stick of ram singly, moved the ram to different slots, disabled onboard sound and lan, and removed my new radeon 9700 and tried a ti4200, even tried using WinME with a different hard drive to see if I screwed the win xp install.

Doubting I had received two bad sticks of memory, I have already RMA'd this board and am waiting on the replacement.

I also have Corsair PC3200 XMS memory at the SPD settings. I needed to set the timings at 2-4-4-8 to get it running OK. With my P4 2.6C at 3.3 GHz, I have to set the FSB:DDR ratio at 3:2 for it to run right. I bought some Corsair PC3500 XMS cheap on eBay solve the problem. Corsair recommends using the PC3500 XMS rather than the PC3200, BTW.

All i856PE and i875P boards have timing issues with different brands of DDR. I suppose these will be worked out in future BIOS updates.

gouda96 said:
WHERE DO YOU GET BIOS UPDATES FOR THIS BOARD. There is no mention of this board on abit's website. I have heard of people updating bios, which fixes quite a few problems for this board.

I do see in beta drivers they have an update for the is7-g bios. Would this work for the is7?

http://fae.abit.com.tw/download/beta/is7/

Grab it and install it....fixed the stability issues I was having....

i installed that the first day i had the mobo. I can't break 237 fsb. It won't load windows. even at 200 fsb i can't use any dividers except for the 1:1 or the comp crashes right after loading windows. when i go over 237 it goes to some blue winxp screen before it loads sometimes, that basically says your os can't load. I am using ocz 3700el running at 2.5-3-3-7, and i tried 2.5-4-4-7, but nothing. with .25v i can boot up to 239fsb. something must be wrong, i see people hitting 270 fsb with this combo (2.4c/is7/cnps7000).

HELP!!!

Which dividers are you trying??? 4:5 or 5:4???

Make sure your N/B strap is set to PSB800, and use the 5:4 or 3:2 dividers. Also make sure you set the AGP ratio to fixed, and set it at 66/33.

I have had this IS7-E up to 250 fsb 5:4 mem divider with a 2.4C default voltage, and 2 HyperX 3500 256meg sticks.

I didn't bother going any higher, the person who the machine is for will run it at stock speeds.

Rocinante said:
Which dividers are you trying??? 4:5 or 5:4???

Make sure your N/B strap is set to PSB800, and use the 5:4 or 3:2 dividers. Also make sure you set the AGP ratio to fixed, and set it at 66/33.

I have had this IS7-E up to 250 fsb 5:4 mem divider with a 2.4C default voltage, and 2 HyperX 3500 256meg sticks.

I didn't bother going any higher, the person who the machine is for will run it at stock speeds.

I am pretty sure those were the settings i was using. i used the 5:4 3:2 dividers (memory slower than 2xfsb). i am not sure though, and it is actually my friend's comp, and i will check very soon (tomorrow(fri.) i hope).

thanks for the help

ok i have the nb strap set correctly, and the agp/pci ratio were all correct. it is stable at 235, and will boot up to 239. i tried it with both ht on and off. memory timings were relaxed to 2.5-3-3-7

the dividers seem to not work properly. when on the 3:2 or 5:4 divider the machine will not boot with anyting higher than 220. 10 mhz slower than with a 1:1 ratio which would be much better. i am stumped, any suggestions?

What ram and cpu are you using???

Try and set the ram to the max timings, I think the bios will drop the timings automatically when you use the 5:4, and more when you use the 3:2, but that might have been the IC7....can't remember.

Whatever you do, do not use mem timings by SPD....

DaveB said:
I also have Corsair PC3200 XMS memory at the SPD settings. I needed to set the timings at 2-4-4-8 to get it running OK. With my P4 2.6C at 3.3 GHz, I have to set the FSB:DDR ratio at 3:2 for it to run right. I bought some Corsair PC3500 XMS cheap on eBay solve the problem. Corsair recommends using the PC3500 XMS rather than the PC3200, BTW.

All i856PE and i875P boards have timing issues with different brands of DDR. I suppose these will be worked out in future BIOS updates.

Hey Dave wonder if you could help me, I'm building a P4 2.6C and I have a stick of 512mb Corsair PC3200 XMS 2,3,3,6 that I used with my last system and was just going to buy another one for the dual DDR board I'm building (I would have odered it but NewEgg is on bakcorder) but after what you said mabey I should not use the 3200 and just buy 2 sticks of 3500 to get a higher overclock, what do you think? Ohh and another thing, would I get a higher overclock buy using 2 sticks of 256 or 512, or does it even matter?

Thanks for the help,
SoL

Back