• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$100 setup... need advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shan

hi,
since $70 is not enough. I decide to consider a $100 setup, I think it's pretty good. give me some suggestionz.

waterblock: a good one. (haven't decided) $50
radiator: heatercore from auto zone. $20
pump: maxijet 900 $20
T-line, hoses, champs: around $10. from home depot.

total: around $100

I have one question about the heatercore. after I got a heatercore, does it come with a barbs? if not, how can I add barbs? any pictures?

Depending on the heatercore, you may or may not be able to slip your tubing over the pipes and therefore wont need to put barbs on.

I use a 1966 Mustang HC. Larger than the chevette, but I was able to make room for it. Warm up the tubing in boiling water for a few seconds and it is pliable enough to get over the pipes. I clamped them down just in case, but they aren't coming off without serious effort.

The heatercore will not come with barbs.
Add the barbs by screwing them into the inlet and outlet tubes. The threaded end of the barb would need to be 1/2" NPT, which is actually 5/8" so it should fit just fine... But if you need more Radiator information

Also, I'm not sure you will be able to get the T-line, hoses, champs for under $10 - that stuff likes to cost 3, 4 dollars at home depo... hell, they didn't even have the barbs I needed so badly.

Makesure you count on in shipping charges.
How about water additives like water wetter?

Other than that, it looks good. Just go ahead and start buying your stuff, but watch the charges, write them down and get back to us on how much you spent in total and what you bought. This type of information can help noobs out with their cheap setups.

I think $50 for a waterblock including shipping is enough. a heatercore, I am planing to get it around $16 + $4 barbs. @ auto stores. maxijet is $16 plus $4 or $5 shipping, it's $20 or 21. so i guess the price should be around $100. the weather of nyc is pretty bad these days. so I'll find a sunny day, then hunting around. can you guys give me some info about the heatercore? model # and the size of barbz.

jayson said:
i dont know too much bout water cooling but dont you need a Reservoir?

I'll use a T-Line instead of a reservoir. saving some $ and making more room

My core is larger than a chevette's also. I sawzalled the stock barb angles off and filed them down so they wern't as sharp.

Like iNSiGMA hit on.

1/2 on one side and 5/8 on the other. You should be able to squeeze even bad <not read old cracking> tube over a 5/8 barb.

hardware might be hard to find in small quantities that small. If you were fortunate enough to have a good size honey-do project, many times hardware shops will just throw in misc items instead of ringing them up.

T-line will be cheaper. All the advantages and disadvantages have been covered 1,000 times elsewhere.

You can save not getting water wetter, but you need to find a cheap alt, and you wont find anything that works better. (than that type of product)

Definately don't forget shipping, and buy everything out of state. Works just like a catalog. If it's shipped out of state, no sales tax required on your part.

Always come back and post what you're thinking. We'll either give a thumbs up, give you something else to think about, or tell you another way.

I will get followingz:
waterblock: maze4 (gf will get it for me..WEEEEE)
pump: maxijet 900 ( $22.94 shipped ) ordered already
t-line: friend gave me one ( $0 )
heatercore: ???? (going to autozone tomorrow)
hoses: 10 ft. ( $4 )
clamps: iron ones or plastic ones? someone tellz me plz.
water wetter: where to get?

ok. gonna get them work in one week, I guess

Well, the metal clamps will eat into your tubing overtime because they are on there so tight and the edges are not exactly user friendly... So get the plastic ones, I got some from BECOOLING because my locals don't sell any...

Not sure about the water wetter... maybe its at autozone too..

ok, I went to my local autozone store. they don't have 87 chevette heatercore in stock. so I am going to order it online. after I get the heatercore, do I need to metal cut the barbs and screw 1/2 barbz on? does it require any soldering?

They don't have any in stock.

They get delevery trucks no farther than 3 days a part if you're in the middle of no-where. Two on average and one if it's a busy store.

Just tell him to order you one. It's not like it takes three months and extra money for them to get one...

Since we're on a budget, forget 2 fans, only 1 is needed anyhow Waste of money IMHO, you'll be volt modding them and still won't pickup much flow...

Back