• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Break-in time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobby

Do you guys run your new boards for a certain amount of time before you o/c it?

I was reading Arctic Silver's site where the paste can take up to 100 hrs before it achieves its best transfer and this got me thinking, should I wait before I start o/c'ing it?

TIA,
-Bobby

ps. I ordered a P4P800, twinmos 256mb PC3200x2 and P4 2.4c

On a new system I tend to run stock for a couple of days until I'm happy that the machine is stable. I run prime95 for a couple of hours at stock speeds and from that baseline, i start to overclock.

My usual method

Stock
Install/configure os
Prime 95 12 hours
Sandra Burn in Test 12 hours
3 consecutive loops of 3dMark (should do more but at this point im getting anxious :) )
Try various BIOSes repeating all above except os install/config
Start bumping cpu with ram at slowest speed/timings
Prime 12 hours
Bring Ram up to match looping sandra mem bandwidth test between attempts.
Establish a CPU/Ram Compromise
Full Prime/Sandra/3DMark Battery

Prime's main goal for me is to establish top stable cpu speed.
Sandra mem bandwidth test looped usually identifies any problems within 10 loops
3DMark is a good overall with an (obviously) strong lean on agp/chipset/vid stability/performance
And sandra burnin is great for testing tho whole systems stability. No fun topping out your cpu/ram only to find out your ide/sound/network is having trouble at your oc

Thanks for the info guys!

I just got all my stuff today :D

I wasn't expecting the case and HSF until tomorrow but they were delivered this morning. Got my cpu and mobo this afternoon. I just built everything and am in the process of installing the os (XP Pro) I'll probably let it run for a few days before I try any o/c'ing (not even MAM/PAT)

-Bobby

I run Prime 95 for three hours after I setup my systems.

after that, I let the O/Cing begin.

Back