• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone used a saw to make WB fins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frostmeister

OK, I'm going with a finned / micro channel type design for my new waterblock, and wondered if anyone here had used a saw to make the channels. I think I remember seeing it discussed here before... Anyway, my plan is to have two areas approx 25mm x 10mm either side of the centre in a 50mm square block, 12mm thick. 3mm for the base thickness, and the fins cut with a mitre saw. I'm using a mitre saw as it's nice and thin, and cuts vertically. I'm going to make it easier on my arm by drilling 1.5mm holes in a channel configuration first, so I should get a fair amount of turbulence from the indents that the mitre saw will cut. I'll post some pictures as I go.

EDIT: I should have said that the two "areas" are the inlet/outlet recesses, and the fins are about 20mm long, and ten of them - in the centre of course. I'll do a pic for you all soon..... Any suggestions / words of advice here? or can I take your silence as quiet admiration? hehe ;-)

Last edited:
bump
PS I'm already milling on this one, and it's a pain... Knackered my drill press chuck. Would recommend a four flute cobalt end mill over a 3 flute HSS end mill though. Less juddery.

A mider saw? :scratcheshead:

Go with drilling the holes as planned.
Then use a dremmel cutoff wheel to make the channels.

I need to post my pics. Thats what I did.

A mider saw? :scratchesheadsomemore:

Steady hands my friend.
AND SAFETY GLASSES TOO ! :D

I made a morphing copy using a diamond dremel cutting wheel ($2 each), turned out ok... I stuck the cutting wheel in my lathe, and clamped the block, ran it through... cut fairly quickly, about 0.3 mm wide, so i did two passes/channel. I tried the normal cutting wheels, but they just shatter.

Back