• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike521

Hey all, I'm new to water cooling and just wondering if what I want is a possibility..

I'd like to get some sort of water cooling setup, the main reason I want it is to lower the noise level of my pc. I'd like to spend no more than 50 dollars.. alright I can go as high as 100 but thats really expensive.
and I'd like something thats very easy to set up since I've never done this before..
and that hopefully keeps my cpu around 50 C at full load...

is this a possibility? I was reading through the reviews and found one that looked like exactly what I'd want, the aguillia water cooling kit

http://www.overclockers.com/articles738/

but its 150 bucks (or at least it was, at the time of the review)..

I skimmed through some other reviews there, but the setups looked fairly complicated...

anyway like I said, my main goal is to quiet down my loud pc, at a cheap price.. do you guys think that is a possibility?

thanks in advance for any advice!

by the way, my current cooling is a thermaltake volcano 9 smartfan. Its really nice, and more quiet than my old fan, but its still not silent..

thanks again!

Well it is possible, assuming you have the tools and skills to make it happen. If you could make your own water block, make a passive rad like others have done, and get a maxi-jet, you might be able to pull it off for your price range.

Oh yeh, and just about every pre-built system is alot worse than whatever you build.

buy a chevette heater core @ an auto parts store for like 17bucks, maxijet 1300 for 30 and 5 feet of clearflex for 6.25, and make your own block, that's about the cheapest you can get, you dont need to put barbs on the heater core, the clearflex will fit on the ones already on it

:(

alright how about this--what is the cheapest water cooling assembly available?

I don't keep up with "assembled" kits, but 90% of those are nothing but inferior components you just piece together.

You might as well spend the same money, pic your own components to suit your own needs and come out with better preformance for a small bit of extra work involved.

That's what I feel is the "truth" about kits and assembled stuff in general.

Also keep in mind many of the "kit" parts are simply repacaged stuff we use anyways... Hoses, fittings, heater cores, blocks, pumps.

R.Rabbit's plan is very good.

I'd simply go tell you to buy an older style block on clearance. You can pickup the last generation of blocks for 1/2 the price of new ones...

R.Rabbit said:
buy a chevette heater core @ an auto parts store for like 17bucks, maxijet 1300 for 30 and 5 feet of clearflex for 6.25, and make your own block, that's about the cheapest you can get, you dont need to put barbs on the heater core, the clearflex will fit on the ones already on it

Is there a step by step tutorial on this somewhere? I'm sure its simple enough for you guys, but I don't know how to do this stuff yet.

whats a "maxijet 1300"?

5 feet of clearflex is the plastic tubing, I assume.. where do I get this?

when you say "make your own block" do you mean the block that connects to the CPU? how would I go about that? If I can't make my own, what other alternatives do I have?

I don't know what these barbs are that people are speaking of also..

won't I need a fan also, at some point? is the heater core loud and annoying? I want something thats silent..

I went to compusa today and they wanted to sell me a 300 dollar setup! can you believe that crap? and they had one running and I went and looked at it, its like twice as loud as my current air cooled machine (had 3 80 mm fans).

man I wish there was just a cheap entry level water cooling kit for 50 bucks.. I'm sure even a cheap one would be much better (and quieter) than my air cooling..

Getting it that cheap may need a level of creativity. To help you out with the basics, look here.
This could be quite useful for you. If the idea of a bucket doesnt sit well with you, this could be a little cheaper than a heatercore.
This, this, and this may help you make a cheap waterblock.

If you have a drill press you could always make a #rotor block, the multi hole block is a good example of this with a step by step tutorial.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips997/

And barbs are used to connect tubing to the water block, heater core, etc...

The tubing can be bought at home depot, as can the barbs.

A Maxi-jet 1200 is a pump, recomended by several people in these forums, and it costs about $20 (w/o shipping) I have never heard of a 1300 but it might exist

The cheepest place to get a good heatercore is a junkyard, you may need to clean it out, but I have heard they can be had for around $5

Good Luck

Exactly a thermaltake or such kit found cheaply would be great IMHO. Yes they suck if you ar edoing anything to your computer ni terms of overclocking but he just wants a quieter comp. If he is staying at stock speeds the thermaltake or similar would be great

Back