• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth phase changing this system??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

priesh

Hi - I am getting a 3ghz C chip and with a prommie mach 2 i'll probably be able to get it up to 4ghz ish. Is it worth it? Will i get a perfromance increase in games (with 9800pro) to warrant it? Or sohlud i just use the extra money to get a couple of WD raptors in raid (only getting 1 120gb maxtor at the mo)?

Thanks for any info

Priesh

most of the intel chips max out at around 3.5 with good air 3.7 water cooling, and can get close to 4 with phase. Wether its worth it to you to squeeze an extra hundred MHz for a couple extra hundred dollars is up to you.

I'd go water cooling and get the raptors :)

Thanks - Actually i just decided yesterday that i'm gonna go for watercooling - should i watercool the 3ghz or wait for the 3.2ghz coming out later this month(alledgedly)? It also has the added bonus of watercooling my graphics card which should be good.

Priesh

personally i'd go for a 2.4c. Chips made at the same time usually max out around the same so it makes sense to just look for a good stepping and see how high you can crank it. Your top oc may be a little higher with a 3, but its not going to be much. Also i don't think you can oc the FSB as much with the higher stepping chips cause they're clocked the way they are with a high mult not a high fsb. You'd end up with better perfromance with a chip with a lower multiplier and a higher FSB.

But if i want to keep they system running in sync it would be better to have the highest multiplier as the mem will only go up to a certain fsb. Also i may not o/c straight away so want a fast stock system too.

Thanks for the info

Priesh

Back