• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it safe to buy an MSI 800FSB board yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikes95XLT

I've been reading a ton about dead boards, RMA's and then new BIOS updates, and more dead boards, and problem after problem, but MSI seems to be fixing some of them with new BIOS updates.

I am building a new system soon, and my favorite board is the 875P, but I like the 865PE just the same. But I don't want to buy into a bunch of problems, because I can't afford to be replacing stuff etc etc.

So, is it safe to buy an 800FSB board yet? (I don't plan to OC this board)

Thanks for any info.

So far my 875P Neo wont let me OC, i looked up on their website and there is a BIOS Update to fix this. I installed the new update but now when I OC my comp does nothing when it turns on....

I'm pretty sure its safe..but

Like most motherboard when you first install it you have to work out some bugs...but the MSI does have more bugs then others that need to be worked out.

I have a MSI 865PE NEO2 FIS2R which is finally running stable!
My main problem was trying to do RAID 0 with PATA IDE hard drives and SATA adapters on the ICH5R controller. the adapters seem to be fine with single drives though....not RAID. Since I switched it to a master/slave config on the promise controller everything seems fine...

I haven't tried to overclock yet...The dyanamic overclocking is disabled at this point. Though I have heard about people having more luck with this 865PE then with the 875P.

maybe more people have the 875P? I'm not sure...I have my doubts since I tried to get the 875P and everyone had it on backorder!

If you don't want to overclock it will be tough with one of these FIS2R MSI boards since they support dynamic overclocking, which automatically overclocks the CPU when the usage is up close to 100%. I have a 133 bus CPU, I have seen it go up to 142 just burning a CD. this option can be disabled in the new 1.2 bios though. This new 1.2 Bios does have a Performace option also which I recently read about on the Abit meaning its an option that enables PAT on these 865PE boards. I am not sure if this is what this opton does on the MSI though....but it does make sense since it means that on the ABit IS7.

Though if you do not want to overclock, I would say even a DFI, ECS or Albatron board is fine...I was just reading about the ECS; it seems like a low end MSI clone except the board isn't red, and it has a "top Hat" bios wich is a like gigabytes dual bios. I have always had luck with ECS. Though they have always been basic OEM to me.

I have the 875P FIS2R. I dont seem to be getting very good results with overclocking on this board. I have a P4 2.6C and I can overclock it to a little over 2.8, which is very sad. Im not sure if it is the M/B or not, but my MSI computer at work I managed to overclock a 2.4 to 3.2 with the stock P4 fan. On the 875P at home I have a Zalman 7000 on the P4, my temps are very low, but the system gets extremely unstable when going over 215 CPU frequency. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my problem is?

Thanks

Nixsun,
I have read your other post also. Think your problem is your ram. Cheap generic ram will be lucky to actually run at the rated speed, in your case 400 mhz at a 1:1 cpu/ram ratio. As soon as you OC, you put the ram over spec and unless you have tested it , it's most likely your limiting factor. I have the 875 NEO2 and it's been a resonably good board. MSI has yet to work out some DRAM timing issues, but with the 2.0 BIOS, I am running 260 FSB with Adata Vitesta pc4000 ram 1:1 ratio at 520 mhz. I set the DRAM timing to auto. This is loose timing, but not uncommon at these higher speeds. The important thing to me is it has been rock stable with these settings. I also have the 2.6c and some other settings you may be interested in are the CPU volts, 1.58;
DRAM volts, 2.80; and AGP volts, 1.60. Running 2 instances of SETI, the full load temperature of the CPU is 49 deg.C.
Unless your're lucky, overclocking requires some quality ram. If you have to use the generic, up the voltage to 2.7 or so and see if that helps. Also make sure that the ram speed doesn't exceed 400 mhz by using a lower multiplier to start. Another common mistake is to forget to fix your agp/pci frequency to 66/33 when you up the fsb.
Sounds like you may need to clear your CMOS and start over. Begin with conservative settings and change one thing at a time.

I have the 865PE NEO2 FIS2R and it is rock stable. I am using raid on the intel controller with no problems. As far as overclocking i am at [email protected] with 1-1 ram and small radiatored water cooling set up. The CPU will run faster but heat is a problem at this point. Need a bigger radiator but i am very happy at this speed. Would highly reccomend the board!

Back