• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It F

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Excelsior

KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!!
Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It Fix It F

AHh god...

WAs getting my stupid 50 dollar coke fountain chiller thingey unit from another thread undone... stupid a lot of thingsa re pakced in plastic

took support frame off...taking off styrafoam... fark this is hard...

UH OH ONE OF THE COPPER LINES BENT TOO FAR AND IS NOW SPEWING REFRIGIRANT INTO THE ATMOSPHERE... great :rolleyes:

What the h*ll should i do now... PLEASE.... PLEASE... help me

Ill take pictures and post in a sec after i get calmed down...

xc.jpg

xc2.jpg

xc3.jpg

:cry:

I hope its not a bad for the environmnt refrigirant...

it still leaks if it goes to the same angle... tried to move the unit to put as little stress as possible on the pipe...

Now i hope i can salvage it and somehow recharge it but if i cant i just want a good and safe way to decharge it and get rid of it.. makes me feel like a mecha dumbass

i hate it ... ive taken apart a fridge and didnt have any problems but this is like 100% woven with plastic and other crap...

UGH stupid me... lost 50 bucks :(

Thats fixable. im not 100% sure how.. but you can call up some local refrige shops and ask if theyd repair a broken compressor line. and refill it with gas. r134 id think.

How much would that cost :-/

Its a 50 dollar unit... 1/12 HP pump... if its not worth it i dont think i want it.... i dunno... im kind a bit worried to go into the shop cause maybe tehyd say its some toxic fro teh environment type thign and call the EPA or some crap like that.. i just dunno

i dont know what calling the epa is going to do besides land you a fine

they cant put it backin or anything like that

$50 dollars is what you paid for it but you have to consider the price you would pay to have it replaced

So this is from a fridge/is a fridge? If it was made like 1995 or up, it should have the environmentally friendly refrigerant. Get it depressurised and have the joint resoldered, then recharged. No idea on cost but prolly 30-50.

Crash893 said:
i dont know what calling the epa is going to do besides land you a fine

they cant put it backin or anything like that

$50 dollars is what you paid for it but you have to consider the price you would pay to have it replaced

Yeah thats what i mean... im thinking ic ould prolly get in trouble... i dont know.... i dont know how much it would cost to have it completely flushed and completely replaced... HMPH :(

just let the rest of the refrigerant out, it wont do any harm, just dont breath it. We need to know if it has schrader valves (fill ports) sense you will need those to recharge it. Also the pipe can be replaced but you wil have to braze or solder on another one. Do you have any tools? like a torch, drill, etc...? Also dont let it open to the air so moister doesnt form inside.

I have a butane torch i use for welding and thats pretty much it :-/

Drill pres.. solder... normal hand tools...

Sigh... i wont be too ****ed off if i can just dispose of it or just like detach it somehow and sell the crappy 1/12 HP compressor for like 10 bucks or something.. do you see that happening at least ina worst case scenario?

First of all, 1/12HP is the compressor size. So im 99.9% sure its r134. That stuff is cheap as heck. like said you can easily repair the damage if you had the right tools. but you might be better off lookign for a new unit. 1/12hp r134 compressor is VERY weak. that wont cool too much. it might keep the water a few degrees over amibent temps. id just ask around and see if u can get someone to fix it cheap. if not, then i dunno what to tell you.

WEll then im glad its r134 then :)

I was basically just using this as a testing part... i already have a good cooler i use for testing any new WBs that keeps water at constant temperatuer without radiator i just needed something to help afew degrees with my main rig. do you think i could gain 10 bucks even by just selling the compressor???

xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx said:
WEll then im glad its r134 then :)

I was basically just using this as a testing part... i already have a good cooler i use for testing any new WBs that keeps water at constant temperatuer without radiator i just needed something to help afew degrees with my main rig. do you think i could gain 10 bucks even by just selling the compressor???

Possibly, depeneds what conidtion its in. You better crimp that compressor line closed or you will kill that compressor.
1/12 probly wont sell on ebay more then 5 dollars unless its in great shape. so unless u find someone else, id just keep it and try to get it working.

seeing as how I have the same cooling unit . . .

it looks like there are 2 small copper tubes that have been sealed off in 2 ways. firstly by crimping the pipe in 2 spots and secondsly by soldering the end of the tube to completely seal it. is it possible at all to reseal that and refill it? any help would be really good ;)

It would probably take a special machine. Your best bet would be to cut them off and put a threaded valve on it, like one from a car's A/C.

well what are we going to do now? repair the damaged pipe and refill it or what?

you didnt say if you had any fill ports on the thing. If you dont have those you will need to buy and solder some in to refill the chiller.

I didnt read it all, but, i know you will most likely not be fined, you can still get that "toxic" r-12 (i think that is what it is called) refilled in cars that use it it just costs alot. I highly doubt they would fine you or anything just say the line broke, it did, you cant be fined for that, if the unit was made before they made the law. just like a old vehicle made in the 70's is ok to drive eventhough it doesnt pass smog regulations, if it did when it was made, it is fine to drive it now, that is how it works.

Back