• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cathar, what's your thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DodgeViper

Cathar, because I was being accused of high jacking this thread I have posted the same questions below. I posted a quote from you.
Originally posted by Cathar Well, 3 barbs may not be it. My next block may have 2 barbs if the performance is acceptable.
For another block to be even on the right track so it can contend with the WW, it has to have accelerated jet-impingement flow directly above the CPU die area, or exceptionally fine channels (<=1mm). If a block doesn't have either, then it's on a different race-track. ;)
BTW, in response to above. For closed waterblocks (non-direct-die) 3C better than the White Water on a ~80W CPU heat source of ~100mm^2 in size is a possibility in theory only. Crunching through the math and we get ~4.5C better as the absolute theoretical limit, the limiting factors being the thermal paste and the required copper base-plate on the block itself. To close the gap between the White Water and the theoretical 4.5C "perfection", requires hyperbolic increases in metal->fluid convectional transfer efficiency. 2C better than the White Water requires about a doubling of the White Water's convectional transfer efficiency, which is about the absolute limit of what's possible using good pressure centrifugal pumps (Iwaki, etc). To get better than this would require pretty extreme equipment and micro-manufacturing tolerances, and be exceptionally expensive.
Cathar, I don't think I have ever seen or read what your thoughts on Morphling1 microfin block. Care to take a stab at it?

Morphling1 blocks are not being mass made and are not offered for sell that I know of. A few people have them. All I am asking is your input, granted I know you do not have the block in hand, but what's printed in orange, Morphling1 block has.

If you do not want to respond I and others will understand. I am only asking because of the reference made by you above.

1.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered morphling's 1 block, waiting for the the money to get in slovenia.

I'm looking forward to install the block :)

Performance will be very good from what i've seen from your setup Dodge.

Last edited:
Cathar, I don't think I have ever seen or read what your thoughts on Morphling1 microfin block. Care to take a stab at it?

Take a stab at what exactly?

How it'd perform? I don't know enough about about various dimensions on it to make a good judgement. It's basically a White Water design with a few small differences, notably in the jet area. I imagine that the two blocks would be quite similar in performance, although it's hard to say. With the White Water I picked up nearly 4C in performance from original concept to final block, but the changes were all seemingly quite minor from a visual standpoint. The jet nozzle slit looks noticably thinner than on the White Water, and this has various performance implications, the most notable of which is the effective width of the stagnation region of impingement. The height of the nozzle looks like it needs to be optimised with respect to the width of the channel. The narrower channels than the White Water has though will probably make up for some of the implementation variances. I have no idea how thick the base-plate is, and the thickness is very important for performance.

If all that sounds muddled, then that's because I don't know enough about the exact dimensions of the block. It looks good. From what I can see I'd change some things, but on the whole it looks sound.

Cathar, thanks. I respect the answer you have given. I know you’re only guessing at its performance, as there is too many unknowns that are not apparent to you.

GoingH2o, let use know when you receive the block. It will take about 3 weeks to arrive once the block ships.

Back