• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evaporiative cooling (aka Bong) VS Radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Black_Ops

well i;m designing a watercooling system and i;m wondering which is better, from what i read it seems bong cools quite a bit better. but i dont have any experience in water cooling. any help
would be appreciated.

Bongs are cheap and somewhat easy to make. They cool better, but there are a lot of hassels and even some danger associated with them. FIrst is moving the system. Definately get some quick disconnects. Second is filling. Mine would use 1-2 liters a day (had a 2 litre bottle as a "resevoir"). The biggest is the buildup of bacteria that causes legioner's (spelling:rolleyes: ) disease. You need some humidifier bacteriostat to control this. I found that dirt would build up inside of mine as well. They do cool better, though.

Anyway, a heatercore can be consealed inside a case and has few drawbacks aside from never getting below ambient water temps from it.

I use a big *** soil pipe as my cooler, with a "t" piece at the bottom, I heard about the bacteria thing but had no idea it can cause legionaires disease!! how can i ensure i have no bacteria build ups? the thing is in the loft, i go up there each day to top it up, its been running for a few months now. I drained it out completly the other day, but the water looked clean! obviously that doesnt mean much!

you will not get any build up in your bong, if you use a good anti-fungle and anti-bactiral, like the kind they make for humidifier, i have at times run some anti-freezze in mine, but the smell got to me.

hmm, i was just wondering about good old disinfectant, the ornage stuff that stinks

I've never had a bong cooler, but I would think that's a lot of mantinance LoL!

I'd say if you're that desperate for temps, do a normal setup and throw on a TEC...

tec requires extra hardware (self and PSU) at this end, (in my room) which i dont want, plus a tec requires loads of extra power!. I have all the room in the owrld for etxras up the loft, but dont want it in my room (the mobo psu etc is bolted to mdf on the back of my desk!

I just flushed the system thru with harpic toilet cleaner nad meths for 5 mins or so! hopefully killed any bacteria/germs and removed the 3 months of limesclae in my blocks, plus maybe rouned up the machined surface for a bit of extra surface are, who knows. at least (touch wood) i have no leaks!

I left some meths going round the system but obviosly that wont last long. plus i added some of that inkjet refill ink just for good measure, now the water is blue :)

Just be careful with additives, though. What you put in there you might end up breathing as well...

Back