• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-Sinxp1394 RAM Voltage Question???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FrozenFears

My Motherboard works great except for one major and very annoying exception. Even though the board is advertised as "DDR400+" It refuses to run stable when my Ram is set at or above DDR400. The Voltage control in bios only gives you 2 options, either "Normal" or "+0.1V" I have 2x512MB sticks of Geil PC3700 DDR466 Ram, which is rated at 2.5-3.1V, my motherboard is the Gigabyte Sinxp1394 (ver 1.0).

I am a bit of a newb when it comes to this, but I believe standard/normal RAM voltage is 2.5V??? if so that means I can only take my voltage up to 2.6V??? This is an obvious problem if I can't give my ram the Voltage it needs, I'm assuming it needs somewhere between 2.7-3.1V when trying to run it at those higher speeds.

I was wondering if there is any way to update my bios not using Gigabytes Bios for this board, I already have the latest bios for my board. Could I use a Bios from a different Gigabyte board? Or a different manufacturer completely? I've read posts about this saying its very "hit or miss" but doing so would make it theoretically possible for my motherboard to have access to different ram voltage settings? Also if that is not possible, or doesn't work, is there any other way to get access to and be able to change the DRAM Voltage settings? Or am I just stuck with Ram that my mobo can't fully utilize?

A side note, Gigabyte has the dual bios feature, so from what I've read about it, if I severely mess up my first bios chip, I have the backup which I can use to flash/repair the one I mess up. Or at least thats how its supposed to work... So I guess it makes my bios "experimentation friendly" hehe...

Wel there are modden bioses I will search for the link ok
What your CANT TRY TO IS GO IN YOUR BIOS AND HOLD DOWN THE CTRL + f1 KEY TO UNLOCK other bios feathers so go to the mem setting and set your timing a bit lower try 3.7.3.3 and and try to clock higher because timing on this board are a bit agresif so for example setting on other bords 2.6.2.2 are the same as 3.7.3.3 on this bord

post link in a minut

ok here it is look throw the threaht and you will find the right bios

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=37370

thanks alot for that link, I downloaded the files for my board, and now I'm going to attempt to flash (holds breath) and hope that after doing so I can get right back to my desktop....

Ok so new bios appears to be working fine, THANKS for that link, now to see if it will help my ram perform better...

Ok so after a long and arduous experimentation of changing multipliers, ram timings etc, I've come to realize that there are 2 possible problems with this board. The new options in the modded bios primarily are just hidden menus, but don't really give you access to any other ram voltage settings. The DRAM voltage setting originally showed up as +.01V and after modding bios it appeared as +0.2V while thats how much voltage was actually added to the Ram in the original +0.1V. So Big Toe just modded it to reflect what it actually does. I saw on his other modded bioses the feature that I really could use, for the Gigabyte 8inxp board he modded it to give access to all ram voltage settings which is what I would need to test whether it is a lack of voltage that is causing my ram to run unstable over DDR400, the other problem is that even with the modded bios, although its additional options are nice, it doesn't change the fact that my sinxp1394 stubbornly refuses to run Ram at DDR400+. I'm tempted to see if I can return/exchange this board for a 8inxp and try out the 8inxp modded bios to see if I can get more Voltage into my ram and run them at their rated speeds.

Back