• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which one is the most quiet pump??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

therudyq3

Maybe someone who has multiple pump can make a statement of which pump is the most quiet.

I have a Hydor L30, and just am putting my system together. I was just wondering if it can get more quiet than this. After all isn't that a benefit of water cooling?

therudyq3 said:

I have a Hydor L30, and just am putting my system together. I was just wondering if it can get more quiet than this.

If you are just putting your system together, bubbles in the lines may be causing the noise. Be sure to provide a way, and allow time, for the bubbles to get out, before deciding the pump is too noisy.

pardon me for bringing up the obvious

...but many (all?) pumps vibrate a bit.
The vibration is not typically audible, but you can feel it if you touch/hold a running pump.
If you allow this vibration to be transmitted to your case - and if your case has lightweight panels (most of 'em do), then some of the vibration can turn into sound.
Try isolating your pump from your case to see if you have this problem.
If you're using a piece of mouse-mat (neoprene foam) that may not be enough isolation. Try picking the pump up in your hand for a moment to see if the noise stops.
If this is your problem, changing pumps won't fix it (unless the Quiet One doesn't vibrate at all - haven't tried one of those).
Try softer foam and/or add something to your case panels to make 'em less likely to vibrate (actually, you're just moving their resonant frequency out of the audible range). There are automotive products "designed to reduce road noise" that mostly all work for this - or you can be creative and use contact adhesive to apply something similar.
Again, apologies if you've been through all this already.
Bob

since87 is right. I had bubbles, although a few, in my line and it enhances the noise.

However, my pump sits in an external and it's opened, so the noise gets out more.

Not that it's not quiet but I expect more after spending 200 bucks on my system. I will try to find ways to quiet it down and covre up my external water cooler case.

But realistically, are there any other pumps even more quiet than Hydor L30?

Back