• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Info regarding mercury

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E_Man

Seems like theres alot of poopy posts on mercury

Water desity is 1g/cm3, heat capacity is 4.18j/g/c

so water is 4.18Joules Per cubic centimeter per degree celcius

Mercurcury is 13.6g/cm3,heat capacity is .139j/g/c

so Mercury is 1.89Joules per cubic centimeter per degree celcius

1.89 or 4.18?

4.18 is better

If you are using a water block you want water.
Turbulence is what allows us to take advantage of a liquids high desity thermally. Mercury is also toxic.

The reason thermal capacity gets smaller with atomic number is because as the nucleous becomes heavyer with more protons and neutrons, there becomes less atoms per gram(i think?)

E_Man said:
.... Mercury is also toxic....
Actually, it isn't clear how toxic somewhat-pure mercury in its liquid state is - something about it not being "bioavailable".
I'm pretty glad of this as I worked with it a bunch my junior year in high school (more than a gallon) in a science project designed to show that you could generate electricity from a fluid conductor moving past coils AKA "magnetohydrodynamics"). This being physics not chemistry, we never even thought to put the apparatus under a hood.
That was in the 67-68 school year and I seem to be OK... well... at least no symptoms of mercury poisoning. :)
Oh - I did figure a way to pump the stuff - put more work into that than the MHD part. Ended up building a very-rube-goldberg peristaltic pump - only I didn't know that that was at the time. This turned out to be 'way too slow for what I was doing. I suspect I'd have had better luck with a gear-pump if I could have gears with clearances appropriate for mercury's viscosity.
And no - I didn't win - got beat out by someone who put all her effort into the display/show-and-tell part. The real kicker is that I did not learn a lesson from this.
Sorry to be so off-the-topic of watercooling.

Last edited:
??
Why pump it?
If your wanting to move it through coils, move the coils. Should be very easy to make a ferris wheel type tube with the mercury inside, Gravity will keep the mercury at the bottom and the coils would be rotating past it with the tube.

I think the main thing about mercury being toxic is that since it is liquid it can be absorbed through the skin more than say a piece of lead. It can also be breathed in too.

Jesus a gallon of mercury, that must have been fun to play with :D

If we broke a mercury thermometer in high school they had a special kit to clean it up. They said it won't do much harm if your only exposed for a day, but for a teacher that may be in the room every day for 20 years teaching it probably wouldn't be a very good thing.

Thermal capacity and thermal resistance are two different things: where are those numbers?

Otherwise, have no doubt: Mercury is toxic. If anyone ever gets their hands on some, do not touch it.

Mercury thermometers are nothing. We broke a mercury barometer in chem class a couple of years back. That thing must have had like half a gallon in it. The teacher actually pulled out one of those cleanup kits, but yeah...those are ment for like a couple of drops of mercury, not an entire pool. Ended up just evacuating the room and that part of the building.

haha, mercury in its purest form is so bad. i broke a thermometer at my grandmas, well it popped and sprayed all over my face. that was about 4 years ago and im still kickin! but yes thank god this isnt a "why dont people use mercury?" thread!

so you want to become a madhatter?:D

Yeah this stuff really not to joke about, mercury oxide is extremely toxic and mercury can actually go through plastic easily enuff, so unless you got some glass tubes forget about it. Just if your wonder why not to use it.

Well if anyone decideds to use it, think again, and if you insist your not thinking.

Keivn

well, i think we missed last month's "Has anyone tried liquid cooling with mercury" post, so this will just have to do.

Where are the n00bs when you need them? lol

junkyard said:
Why pump it?
If your wanting to move it through coils, move the coils. would be rotating past it with the tube.
It was a Science Project illustrating MHD - the point was a moving fluid conductor in a non-moving container surrounded by coils. Moving the entire coil would, indeed have been MHD - but it wouldn't have looked like MHD.
FWIW, I ended up using a large hourglass-looking apparatus mounted on gimbals (flip it over and let it flow - center part was setup for MHD).
MHD normally uses flowing plasma (as in rocket or jet output) to generate electricity. I was planning to set up a medium sized rocket engine (biggest Estes you could get), but my Physics teacher decided that that would be "too dangerous", hence the mercury. I believe that MHD is now a fairly normal part of electricity generation - the gasses, once they are no longer plasma, drive turbines, and once they've slowed down, they're used to heat water/steam.
Bob
PS: I am in no way saying mercury is not dangerous - we just didn't know about it at the time and (AFAIK) it's the vapors and mercury compounds that are more easily absorbed that are particularly bad.

Back