• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Do I size a compressor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lelu

Where can I find information about how to size a compressor for phase system?

Example

How many BTU's is needed to sustain -40 c while removing or displacing 500 watts.

This is a random example, I am interested in how to calculate the btu's. I am not looking for compressor size for 500 watts.

so if I have a compressor that can do 700BTU/hr and my processor outputs about 451BTU/hr (max load) and my current tems are 78S/97CPU what kind of tems can I expect if I use the compressor to cool my water?

depends on a couple other factors then just the compressor size but it is a good start. Like Mizzery said you just multi 3.4 by the watts you are putting out to get the btus you need. A 700btu compressor is pretty small for a chiller, aim for a 1000-1500btu compressor atleast bigger is better. 700btu compressor may sound like it will work but you have to take in heatloss from bad insulation as well, wich is pretty common with chillers. Also the bigger the compressor the more vacuum you will be able to pull meaning lower boiling point. To sustain a -40c liquid temp you will need to insulate A LOT as well as making a good good evaporator. You should check out bowmans thread over at phase-change.com. He is doing something a little different but you will see how to design a nice chiller.

http://www.phase-change.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18

Back