• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I the only Guinea Pig for the Maze 4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shroomer

member with no avatar
Mine should be here tomorrow. Should be running this weekend sometime. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has or will order this block soon. Unfortunately I have nothing to compare it to except low-mid range air on this setup.

Really I want to make my own blocks, but I haven't had much success so far. I decided to have at least one commercial block to compare them with anyway.

I really don't see why there's so much negativity toward this block. It looks like it will perform okay. It seems these days if its not a WW, then it's not worth it.

I've been outa the loop....WW? is that the white water block? I think i saw that for 65 bucks....no way it's that much better than a maze3 is it?

The reason hardly anyone here has ordered a Maze4 is because they are all waiting for the White Water (due out sometime this month I think)

anvil82 said:

I'm just curious why the maze3, or the TC-4 hasn't been reviewed and listed in the waterblock tests?

My understanding, is that until recently Danger Den had chosen not to have BillA test their blocks.

I believe BillA did receive a DD block for testing recently, and that we may see the results in the near future.

I can't say for certain though.

Since87 said:

I read that and I know your a knowedgleable person on this matter, but that did not prove that it would outperform a maze3. It also said that this design would need (benefiet the most from) a high head pump, not the norm of a high flow pump. I think that this is getting to a point with the cost of a waterblock and pump that phase change cooling is becoming a viable option. I would really like to see real world results of a maze3/4/tc-4 vs WW...

ajrettke said:
that did not prove that it would outperform a maze3.

Skepticism is good. I don't know what to tell you.

The most trusted source I know of for direct comparison data is Cathar himself. He reports about a 5C difference between the two blocks. (I trust Cathar, but there's no reason you should.)

As sn_85 pointed out, BillA has provided data on the TC-4. If you buy that the Maze3 performs similarly to the TC-4, then you might infer that the lead the WW has over the TC-4 is applicable.

Last edited:
I have a question, I seem to remember a while ago, that that block was supposed to be the maze 3 in the previews they had.
Then they released the block that became the maze 3 we all know today.
The only difference I remember is that they had the barbs further apart, and their milling under them made the water channels look like a lemon (shape wise).

Maybe I'm just senile, but I remember that block from somewhere.

Anywho, I like the block I have for now (Gemini, my one commercial block too) but I'm looking forward to making my own soon. Maybe it's because the summer's been so chilly that not many people are looking for a change. It's 53F here today.
Wait 'till August, they'll be flocking to the commercial maker's.
And maybe it's just me, but $65 ain't in my budget, nor is the $100+ pump it takes to make it shine...

Okay... Although there is no concrete proof that the WW is that much better, it would take a lot of wishful thinking to get to the point that the Maze 3 or 4 is better ot equal to the WW. WHat I'm saying is that the WW is for the most part overkill. People on a budget would probably do good looking at this block. Plus, I don't like 3 barbs and couldn't afford a Morphling block (let alone the waiting!) I'm suprized that there have been no other comercial copies of the #Rotor blocks. I plan on making on of these in the future and it SHOULD outperform the block I'll get tomorrow.

Im hoping to get ahold of one to test against the WW, maze3 and a few others:)

Jon

There's a thread over at OCAU where people who bought the White Water when I made them were invited to independently submit their results. I did not create the thread - it was created by owners to share their experiences. There are a number of Maze 3 before and after comparisons in the thread and the results match up with both BillA's and my own data.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109948

...if anyone one is interested in more evidence than just my word, or the word of an independent reviewer.

Yeah, I don't know where that myth came from. I mean, maybe a tiny submersible might not be better, but all of the pumps we use would end up with better temps with the WW.

Well the WW may be great and all but 5C is not worth the $20+ price difference in my mind. Sure an overclock is nice but there are sometimes one has to say OK thats enough. Im poor too so im going to have to get a maze or tc-4 because they are cheaper. IF i could afford that and had money to throw away i would

From BillA's article/review of the whitewater:
"Its high flow resistance is atypical of most commercial offerings - but so is its cooling. Pump selection criteria are a bit different IF one is attempting to achieve the best possible results: Select head capability in preference to volume, note that such pumps are not common - or inexpensive."

So you'd stand by BillA's articles and testing on the upside, but not the downside?

I'd believe BillA over anyone claiming "myth", thank-you.

I don't get it with some of the comments in this thread.

The new maze 4 is being offered by the same company as the WW and they are pricing them. Which one do you think performs better from that information alone?

Back