• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to remove retention base on ic7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baraka

Has anyone with the ic7 removed the plastic heatsink retention base? It looks like it's held in with white pins. Is it possible to yank these out from the front of the board or is it better to push from the back? Thanks.

baraka said:
Has anyone with the ic7 removed the plastic heatsink retention base?

lots of us have. you need to if you plan on running one of the monster coolers like the SLK-900 that can take advantage of the four hole mounting option.

as for taking out the pins?

you can do this one of two ways:

1. take a flat-head screwdriver and gently pry between the base of the white pin and the black mounting bracket. just enough to where you can grab a hold of the head of the pin w/ some pliers.

2. go from the backside of the board and take a small screwdriver and VERY CAREFULLY push the part of the pin thats actually inside the piece thats going through the motherboard. however, you need to be VERY CAREFULL that your screwdriver doesnt slip while you're pushing on the white pin. because if/when it does, you could easily damage one of the copper traces on the motherboard thus maybe causing some serious damage to the board.

that being that, I'd try my 1st option and see how that goes for ya. :)

yeah that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I just stuck a flathead screwdriver under each white pin and twisted it 90 degrees to pop the pin up a little. Then I grabbed it with some pliers and yanked it out.

I felt like a dentist pulling out teeth. :D

Now I get to install my new 8942 and 2.6C. :)

Back