• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 8oo mhz fsb Board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZebG

I plan on building a canterwood Computer but am having a hard time finding a board with ATA raid

any suggestions

Welcome to the forums.

Gigabyte is keeping the ATA100/133 RAID for their top-end 865 and 875 boards. But it might be worth your while to pick up a couple of S-ATA adapters and use the Intel ICH5R SATA-RAID controller. There is a notable increase in average read speeds compared to the Promise and Highpoint controllers.

BHD

I would second that - an IC-7 w/ 2 Seriellel2 P/SATA adaptors is a good deal (and works like a charm, too). Putting the drives on the ICH5R controller helps by moving the drives 'upstream' of the PCI bus.

Of course, if you're looking for RAID 1 or something more exotic, then you're out of luck with the ICH5R solution and probably want one of the Gigabyte boards, or the ASUS P4P800 (Springdale, tho). Can't think of any others of the top of my head.

the Asus P4P800 has IDE RAID $145 is alot cheaper then the IC-7G $215 plus the extra $25 bucks for the other serial/ide adapter costing total $240. Performance wise the IC7-G has it all, 875 chipset, CSA lan controller but your paying $$ 100 bucks more nearly. Bang for the buck if you need IDE RAid though go with the P4P800(865), its cheap and rivals the performance and some instances surpasses the more expensive 875 chipsets. If I remember right the ASus has higher Ram(2.85v) and AGP(1.8v) voltage then the ABIT. I have the P4P800 running a 2.6c at 3.49ghz 268FSB. Still tweaking and playing with it.

Lohcutus, are you sure your RAID is working correctly? How long did it take to format???

I have a MSI 865PE NEO2 FIS2R and set up my RAID at first on the ICH5R with 2 Soyo SATA adapters, it formated my 2, 120GB WD 8MB cache drives in about 30 seconds, but XP seemed to install fine....though I got random blue screens..

I recently switched the drives to the promise controller and everything seems fine! of course no SATA adapters are being used for RAID, I am using them on the ICH5R for single drives.

[
Of course, if you're looking for RAID 1 or something more exotic, then you're out of luck with the ICH5R solution and probably want one of the Gigabyte boards, or the ASUS P4P800 (Springdale, tho). Can't think of any others of the top of my head. [/B]

Actually, the SATA silicon supports raid 0/1. The ICH5R supports only raid 0.

Back