• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hose quick connects

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Junglebizz

Someone posted a thread on here a while back and was showing some quick connects he picked up for 3/8" hose. I am close to finishing my external watercooler and those would be perfect for the project, but I don't remember where he said he got them.

Could someone post the thread here or a link to a site where you can buy them?

Don't remember that thread, but if you go to your local hardware store and buy some 3/8 quick connects for use with compressed air, they are also watertight.

Hmm.. i'll have to check that out.. I want to make my external case a completely separate unit that i can disconnect and not have it leaking all over the place.

They are made by Colder, and are available from US Plastic.

For 3/8", you might want two each of the following:

60813 3/8" Polypropylene Hose Barb Shutoff - 1.86 Lgt - Coupling Insert $6.89

and

60694 3/8" Polypropylene Bulkhead Panel Mount Hose Barb Shutoff- 2.82 Lgt - Coupling Body $11.59

Or 4 each if you want quick disconnects on both ends of the hose.

At 2 each, that would be (sans shipping) $37, 4 each would be $74. Hense, it is much cheaper is you only do your computer, and have the hoses permanately attatched to your water cooling box.

Hope this helps.

Wow - I'd go with the air fittings if you can. They're going to be made out of metal, most likely steel (wont rust as long as you use antifreeze in water), but you can probably get them in brass too. Let me know how this works if you decide to go this route.

Well, I looked into the air hose connectors. yes you can get them in brass, so rust is not a problem... What the problem IS, is that they are about 3 inches long! That means when i mount them into my watertower, they will stick out the back at least 2 inches... which really sucks, and also looks bad.

They still cost about $8 a piece as well, so the price ends up being comparable..

You know, i think that i might just run 2 lines from my tower straight to my computer... I haven't spent more than $50 in total making the tower (including dual rads and pump) and I don't fancy spending $74 US (<---:eek: ) just to have some L33t fancy tubing stoppers that I can oggle when I look at the back of my computer! :D

Let the thing leak all over the place if it must! It's just carpet underneath it.. It will dry!

Unless someone has any other suggestions to how i can make this tower portable (to some respect).

Despite all the advantages of having a external setup, it was for this reason I went internal. I'd hardly call the machine portable, as it weighs a *lot*, but if need be, it can be moved as an atonomous unit. Everything is bolted and sealed, it can run upside down w/o problems, but it's sheer weight is what makes it not portable.

A 19" rack case can be had for $30 or so to mount everything in, but the quick disconnects are what held me back (well, that and fact my cat would attack and shred the hoses).

There is a lot to be said for self contained.

If you don't need to move it much, fixed hoses with hose barbs or quick connects (the cheap kind Swiftech uses, no auto-shutoff) would be trivial and cheap. For the ultimate in reliability, compression fittings would work VERY nicely, albeit it's rather perminate.

Well, this case isn't going to be moved at all, that was the plan. I have a space reserved for it nice and close to the tower but out of the way.. No problem about the connects, I'll live with hose lengths showing.. i'll just cap them off if i have to move it.

Back