• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Higher temps worth noise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

My friend tells me that i should take off my loud 53db 130cfm fan and put little 60mm 20cfm fan on it, 17db, because its quieter. He has aircooling, so i think he may be trying to bring up my temps so he doesnt feel bad. Anyway, what kinda temps would i get on a cube radiator with only 20cf going through it? He says 50-55c idle is just fine, and 60 load is acceptable, he is an idiot, tell him it will kill my incredible 1700@2ghz.

53dB(!)
That'd drive me crazy - but I'm not you.
If you're fine with 53dB, then, great, you're done :)
Otherwise, you might think of reducing the voltage to that fan.
Lower voltage means fewer RPMs, which in turn mean less airflow and less noise.
Just turn it down, test your 1700+ @ 2G (SiSoft, CPU Burn, whatever). When you get to the point that it won't run at 2G any more, you can either lower your o/c (yeah, right) or turn the fan voltage back up a tad. Don't forget that CPU voltage is a factor here - if you can run at 2Ghz with lower voltage, you're producing less heat and can, in turn, reduce fan voltage a bit more (lower noise).
The tradeoff is yours - pick what you like...
Bob
PS: You didn't mention the diameter of your fan - I'd guess 120mm. FWIW, larger dia fans tend to create a bit less noise for the same airflow. Dunno if this helps at all.
Come to think of it, this was a joke, right? ... nevermind

uhh if your really annoyd about your sound you should 7v mod your fan, ive only got two 74cfm fans moded to 7v on my rad (bip), and i get wonderfull temps.

50C watercooled seems extremely high.

The smaller the fan, the more rpms you need to create the same cfm, meaning the louder the noise. I'd say 7v the fan, and maybe add another one for push-pull.

It also depends on your overall case ventilation.

A few notes:

Given the same setup, less noise is going to yield higher temperatures, period. Okay, well not "period" period, but for our concerns, it works.

50C watercooled is rather high. But, I can see that happening with those 'cube radiators. I was never a big fan of them.

You could do the 7v mod(you'll have to search, I don't want to do all the work for you), or you could go buy a rheostat from radioshack (like 5 bucks) and wire it in to control down to what you find is an acceptable level of noise. I did that with my Mechatronics 120mm that is running on my heatercore and it's nice. (note: I have since updated to a Nexus Rheobus, but it's the same idea)

I tried 7v, the fan doesnt spin, it trys to, and moves a cm or 2, but then stops. I ordered another 120mm, 80cfm at 29db, but im afraid sumthing would melt if i tried to put a tiny 60mm 20cfm fan on it.

You could just get a Panaflo 120mm L1A 68.9CFM. 30.0 dB(a) 3.3 mmH2O.
These are rated down to 7VDC, I use one at about 5.5 or 6VDC on a Black Ice radiator - keeps my 2100+ (o/c'd to 2.4GHz) at ambient plus 12°C - but I'm more interested in keeping my system "silent" ("silent" in the sense that I can't hear it over ambient noise, not actually silent-silent). If I didn't care about noise I could boost my CPU voltage a bit more and maybe run a bit faster - but I made a compromise that's right for me - yours would likely be different...

A 60mm Panaflo (that's what i'm guessing yours is) would not be a good idea for a rad. I'd get the largest size you can.

And something tells me both of you aren't very experienced with cooling processors etc. I'd suggest both of you to read up.

Personally, i can go with higher temps for noise-reduction. Its not like i'll notice a few hundred Mhz anyway. (I currently have my 1700+ at 7x210=1.47Ghz but its just as snappy and its only at 1.4Vcore)

I know quite a bit, before i even posted this i had ordered a 120mm 80cfm fan@30db, and didnt tell him. He just wants silence, but then again, his computer is 60c load, so he realy doesnt know too much.

Yuriman said:
I know quite a bit, before i even posted this i had ordered a 120mm 80cfm fan@30db, and didnt tell him. He just wants silence, but then again, his computer is 60c load, so he realy doesnt know too much.
Or maybe he's just been in the computers scene for so long he knows that low temps aren't the be-all end-all of computing, neither is being "1337" and having a 100Mhz higher overclock at the risk of your sanity.

Think about it, it'll make sense... eventually.

Back