• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIX2: Shroud needed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wormwood

OK, the HW Labs website mentions as one of the distintive features of the BIX2:

"Built-in plenum chamber for increased performance and noise reduction."

I know a shroud would help, but is it actually needed? (well, "needed" is too strong of a word. Would it make a 6C+ difference assuming ~250W heat load?).

I am with GP. Don't waste your time unless you really need the size. First the BIX has fan mounts, but I would not call them shrouds. You really need the fan or fans to be mounted .75" or more off of the face of the core. Cores with fans mounted directly flush to the core get no cooling on the core in the center area, plus the fan does not pull the CFM's as a fan spaced out from the core.

I purchased it as an experiment to see if I can get some room back in my case. I had a 1967 Camero core in there that was taking up all my room. If I can mount the BIX2 right up to the fans without loosing too much performance, I'll be very happy indeed. 6C was about the threshold of pain...

Two Xeons and a nice video card eat as much juice as a peltier. :(

From Intel's web site, they are 85W each, or 170W. The FX video card supposedly (according to Tom's hardware, but we know what that means...) is at 75W, total 245W. Which is about as much juice as a peltier.

EDIT: Either way, it's still a lot-o-juice...

Back