• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do you all solve the power plug issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoKtEm

Well, I just got my antec case and am putting everything in that case. Before I drilled a little hole and put little car slits around the hole and pulled the power plug from the water pump that way, is that how everyone does it? I'm feelin kinda lazy right now and I don't have anymore car slit things so I'm not sure if I'm going to drill another hole.. unless it's the only alternative. Just want to hear how ur ideas sound! list em out! =D

I stick it out a front 3.5" bay... but only because I'm too lazy to take my system apart to cut a removal hole for it. I'm thinking rear corner (where bottom meets back) I may just cut the cable, run it through a small drillhole and then reconnect it... but probably I'll just but a bigger hole and slip the head through.

hmm my plug doesn't fit through the PCI slot, drilling a hole on the bottom of the case sounds good! i might go and do that

Relay my friend, relay. I have my pump power on and off with the system... There are 2 power cords at the back of my machine, 1 for the PSU and 1 for the pump. The pump has the plug cut off, and run to the relay. When the relay senses power (via a case fan) it switches on the pump.

I think he's asking on how to make the pump's power cord get out of a closed case. I took a really simple approach myself; i bent the edges of the expansion slots with a screwdriver and forced the plug through.

nikhsub1 said:
Relay my friend, relay. I have my pump power on and off with the system... There are 2 power cords at the back of my machine, 1 for the PSU and 1 for the pump. The pump has the plug cut off, and run to the relay. When the relay senses power (via a case fan) it switches on the pump.

Thats what I was going to say, but I forgot what it was called, relay that is. But yeah, with a relay all you need a hole to run the power cord into the case then you hook that end to the relay and plug the cord in. It just requires a small hole in the rear of your case.

I just clipped off the stock plug, ran it through a PCI slot and put on a new aftermarket plug. While I was at it I trimmed the length of the cord too.

I took the plug socket out of an old, burnt PSU and modded it to the back of my case, then ran that to a relay, then to pump. I just plug a regular PC power cable in & it's ready to go. Didn't feel like modding my brand-new, at the time, Fortron PSU.

I have an antec case as well. It has a plastic thing (technical term) above the slots that holds screws, etc.

I popped it off completely and ran the cord out the back. Air circulation isnt nearly as critical as before going water, so I'm not worried.

cut off the strips in the middle of where the pci slots are but still leave the place for the screws thats what i did and it worked

Last edited:
CZmanz19 said:
cuz off the strips in the middle of where the pci slots are but still leave the place for the screws thats what i did and it worked
thats a great idea. i think i'm going to go the bottom of the case route anyways though.

Just to give you guys my input. I'm almost done my watercooling system, just fixing a leak. When thats done I'm getting a relay and actually going to mod my power supply so that i can add a power connector into the psu box, then wire the relay to it and the 12v lines from within the psu. That way all i have to do is run my powercord(which will be shortend) to the psu case. That way I only have one power cord leaving the case and dont have to worry about forgetting to turn on the pump.

Back