• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Danner impeller-to-shaft gluing? Something concerns me...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Junglebizz

I just superglued the impeller to the shaft on my danner 1.9. I know that no glue got on the spindle because it spins quite freely. But when i plugged in the glued pump for the first time, it seemed like it hesitated and the water was surging. Then about 5 seconds later, it stopped and ran normal.. Nice and quiet...

Could that have been i sign that something went wrong? should i redo the glue?

Ok, what appreas to happen is when i initially put it in the water, it will work fine, but if i unplug it and plug it back in, it sounds like it can't get going, like there's too much force holding it there.

But when i lift the pump out of the water and get air in it, then put it back and fire it up, it runs fine..

This can't be a good sign.

It's normal behavior. The glue mod just takes out the play between the magnet and the blades. That play was what the pump used to get the whole thing turning. I sometimes have to turn my pump off/on a couple times to get a smooth pumping going but once it's started, it runs perfectly.

so should i just set it up so that it runs constantly? I'm just concerned that at some time in the future when i unplug the pump, i won't be able to get it going again, (or that i won't notice that it's messed up!)

So.. is the glue mod even worth it? the pump is in my external case and it's totally sealed in so i probably won't hear it.

I didn't do the mod until after I heard my pump running, buzz sounded like a foot long bumblebee was attacking me.

You won't have much of a problem getting it started again, just have to "bump" it a couple times and it will run fine.

I took the glue off. It's back to running the way it came.

The 1.9 is a submersible pump so i don't really want to reach in my case and open up my res to give it a kick every now and then.

I'll just use extra insulation in my watertower if the noise proves to be noticeable.

Don't try to be smarter than the Danner engineers. The blades are free for a reason, otherwise they would've superglued it themselves ;-) Actually they could've made it from a single piece of plastic and saved money, and reduced the complexity but it's free because if it were fixed, the rotor will have problems getting up to speed because the blades create drag in the water. The solution to the startup problem is to give the blades a certain degree of movement independent of the rotor which will allow it to startup freely without the drag from the blades, even for just a fraction of a revolution...

Back