• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally got a free compressor but is it too big??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ge|atinousFury

We just got a heat pump installed at my house (I'm home from college for the Summer) so Dad wanted to throw out our 25 year old (still works perfectly, I might add) A\C window unit. It's rated at 28,000 BTU and runs on a 220v outlet!! This thing's heeaaavvyyy too. The LRA rating is 74 on the compressor. I'm new to phase-change cooling, and I was really wanting to do a DIY, but I think this compressor might be a bit too hardcore for me, requiring the only 220v outlet in our house (not in my room, either). It's pretty nasty too.....it needs a cleanup of magnitude unheard of in this universe. Its out on the front porch now. Should I tell Dad to go ahead and can it or not?

Ge|atinousFury said:
We just got a heat pump installed at my house (I'm home from college for the Summer) so Dad wanted to throw out our 25 year old (still works perfectly, I might add) A\C window unit. It's rated at 28,000 BTU and runs on a 220v outlet!! This thing's heeaaavvyyy too. The LRA rating is 74 on the compressor. I'm new to phase-change cooling, and I was really wanting to do a DIY, but I think this compressor might be a bit too hardcore for me, requiring the only 220v outlet in our house (not in my room, either). It's pretty nasty too.....it needs a cleanup of magnitude unheard of in this universe. Its out on the front porch now. Should I tell Dad to go ahead and can it or not?

Yeah it is pretty large, waste of power for chilling/direct die.But you should clean it up and get it nice and put it in the paper and sell it.At least get some money from it.

yup too big:D , get something around 6000btu-10000btu should work fine and 120v, 220v are not good, waste as aenigma point it out;)

Well 220 is fine if you have it.Not all compressors that are 220 are big.
10,000btu is also overkill.And you don't need an a/c compressor, just use what you can get.
Air conditioner compressors are also pretty loud.
A refrigerator/freezer compressor is ideal.

Back