• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Touched by the hand of GOD (W/C God that is)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nan0_man

Is this even possible! Or should I contact the Vatican/Skips pad?

Today I came home to find 'Pandora' my trusty Folder had suffered a vicious attack by a LEAKING W/B! and there was no Video to the monitor at all! (droplets on the Vid Card=not good)

Nervously, I cleaned it up with some alk and a cue tip or 30, and put it into a different rig. Guess what? It Fr*****g worked!!! :D

So I guess the water caused the....actually I have no idea what happened. What the HELL happened ?(pun on title intended)

Is it at all possible that the short or whatever only damaged a part of the card? Decreasing its performance? its a Geforce3 ti200 and I didnt have time to bench it before my bedwetting rig-et started P***ing on it.

By the way, the offending block is a Swiftech, one of the older blue ones-Model# MCW462-B. Block hasent been modded at all so theres no reason for it to just spring a leak...or is there?

Is your block made of ALL copper or metal of some types? where did the leakage come from?

They used to have problems with Poly tops in the old days because, I guess, the poly top was thin and not strong enough to support the metal fitting for so long.
They have now fixed that by making it much thick or using a copper top

thats it! I did use distilled water (with a drop of bleach) but it must have done SOMETHING as when I returned I couldnt get a picture on the monitor.
The leak was comming from the intake barb. and the block is copper and alluminum.

nan0_man said:
thats it! I did use distilled water (with a drop of bleach) but it must have done SOMETHING as when I returned I couldnt get a picture on the monitor.
The leak was comming from the intake barb. and the block is copper and alluminum.

From the barb to the hose was leaking, or from the barb to the block it was leaking?

I got water on a vid card once, it seemed to be working, but as soon as I tried to play a 3d game....

Seeing your above posts, your's went kinda the same way :(
At least it was a GeForce3 Ti200 64MB and not a Radeon 9800 Pro!

What is the top of your block made of?

Top of block is aluminium, and it as leaking where the barb connects to the block.
I havent tryed to play any 3d games yet....fingers crossed.

Actually I took this opportunity to give it a re-spray. Heres the befor and after:

So, no, its not running right now, and i dont know if bleach is conductive...?
p0000048.jpg
p0000049.jpg

Last edited:
bah distilled water has nothing to do with it. The same thing happened to me, only my pump died and the hose heated up and expandedso it leaked onto my video card (gf3 ti200) and i don't mean a little leak im talking a puddle.

I killed the power and took out the card and dried it off, slapped it back in and it worked great. i was so relived. BTW i didn't use distilled water....

drdingo21 said:
bah distilled water has nothing to do with it. The same thing happened to me, only my pump died and the hose heated up and expandedso it leaked onto my video card (gf3 ti200) and i don't mean a little leak im talking a puddle.

I killed the power and took out the card and dried it off, slapped it back in and it worked great. i was so relived. BTW i didn't use distilled water....

You don't think that not using distilled water didn't have any effect on your pump dying :p

nan0_man said:
the block is copper and alluminum.

I think your problem may lie within this statement that you made. You may have the water-cooling nightmare of battery effect. I'd suggest that since the block isn't currently in use that you take the block apart and check for corrosion on the alluminum portion of the block.

drdingo21 said:

It does have something to do with it because distilled water isnt conductive meaning it shouldnt hurt the computer

Umm, distilled water DOES conduct electricity. Distilled merely has been cleaned of chlorine and lead and so on. There are still ions in the water which means the water is capable of conducting electricity. Deionized water is the water that will not conduct electricity, but it has to be an almost 100% solution, and that 'll cost you.

That may be so but when i was setting mine up we check with one of the tools that check electicity (dont know the formal name) and the needle didnt even move

I have a Ti4400 thats been pi**ed on 3 times now by H20 leaks.

I only use distilled H20 only with water wetter.
(nasty stuff when it leaks)

But I still us it & it works great.
:cool:

Back