• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need tips on putting barbs on heatercore.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePunkGeek

Well currently my heatercore has 5/8 copper comming outt it and i would like put some 1/2 barbs but really don't know how. one of the fittings on the heatercore come out at a 90* angel so i won't have a prob with it but the other one has a wierd angel on it.

put if i cut the wierd angel one shorter i think i could get a 90* fitting to work nicely. How would i get the fitting to stay in there will i have to solder ot could i get something with a 1/2 thread and thread it in that will allow a 5/8 to thread into it then just silicon it...

well u can stretch the your 1/2 over the 5/8. Or you can get a short section of 5/8 tube and get a 5/8 to 1/2 bard and connect the 5/8 tube with the 1/2 tube.

there's some brass adhesive that can be used with just brass tubes, u can go that route. I think there's a post here somewhere that has a pic of that product. It's called something *tite. But I noticed, if you have microcenter in your area, microcenter carries it.

Stick it in a pail of water so that the tubes where they go into the heatercore are above water level. Heat up the joint with a small torch and remove the existing pipes. Reverse the procedure with some hosebarbs, soldering them directly into the heatercore. Make sure the top pan lip is submerged so that it also does not come unsoldered.

I found threaded hose barb fitting that fit inside the inlet and outlet tubes of my radiator (a 97 chevy LT model), and used JB weld to hold them in place. As long as your patient and careful with the JB weld application, it works great. Just remember to rough up the inside of the inlet and outlet tubes on the rad so that the JB Weld will bond better...

Hi All
First Post

I just soldered hose barbs on my chevette heatercore from info. gathered on this forum. On this heatercore, one pipe is 1/2" and the other is 5/8".
I cut the pipes back to about 1 inch lengths.
I bought a 1/4"NPT x 1/2" and a 3/8"NPT x 1/2" hose barbs and used a grinder to take the threads down a bit so they just fit into the pipes (without grinding they are too big to fit in) and soldered them in

This procedure seemed to work well. But I still need to check for leaks :D

Putting 1/2" OD barbs on a Chevette heatercore is likely to double or triple the flow resistance of the heatercore. For maximum performance, sliding the tubing over the HC stock pipes is much better. (particularly with low resistance blocks like the Swifties)

Back