• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how does everyone make sure their waterblock is flat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoKtEm

we all know everyone has different techniques, lets hear them out! i know danger den advertises to use a ruler.. do most people just do that?

also how do people know how tight is too tight

I just make sure there isn't any obvious irregularities on the base like obvious scratches or machining marks etc.

I like using an exacto sharp razor placed perpendicular to the base and checking for light coming through any gaps.

oops i meant flat on their cpu chip =P

as in mounted flatly

Ah!

In that case I would depend more on the mounting hardware and technique prescribed by the manufacturer and the temperatures that I get versus the temperatures that I SHOULD get with my setup. If the temperatures seem abnormally high and my temperature sensors were correctly calibrated I would know that my mounting was insufficient.

Hmm, doesn't answer your question though does it....:p

I'm a little anal about this, I use the tail of my calipers.
Firstly though, you have to make sure your bolts are all the same length when installed on the motherboard, then I just measure from the bolt tip down to my thumb nuts.
I tighten them about a half turn each once the block makes contact, check with the calipers and even them up, then tighten again, check etc... until the springs are compressed to my liking.

If you measure using a ruler or whatever, it's important to make sure the bolts are all the same length, otherwise your measuring will be off. You can use a file to adjust.

Told you I was anal.......:D

yeah I was using a ruler and everything seemed flat but my NF7-s didn't like it untill i put a little more pressure on the back.. kind of weird

I just bought a block on ebay and 2 of the springs are different, 1 is a little longer too. I have to find 4 springs of matching pressure now. You think Home Depot would have little springs like that? I have to go there for a fitting so I would like to get it all in one trip. Other wise I have to order from danger den and wait. :mad:

You have an ACE hardware? Thats where I got some... They have a bunch.

Lowes didn't have any when I looked. Don't know about Home Depot.

hmm it's hard to get it perfect.. especially when everything's already in the case >_< i guess I'll just tie it down tight... don't people crack it that way though?

NoKtEm said:
we all know everyone has different techniques, lets hear them out! i know danger den advertises to use a ruler.. do most people just do that?

also how do people know how tight is too tight

Wet sanding with various grit sandpaper on a machinist's granite table is best. Short of that, sanding with over a flat piece of glass also works. Look for the base to clean up evenly as you go based on the swirl marks.

Good luck,

Koooler King

I guess :)

I am not anal enough about it I think:
I do follow the manufacturer's guides and I do learn my all of my system's trends pretty quickly, but other than the guides my method is to tighten up, run and then tighten up just a bit more.

If temp is higher than normal I give the mounting another bit of pressure using my calibrated screwdriver arm:D

Just do a descent job lapping it yourself and forget about it for all eternity =)

Back