• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RDRAM overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tc29

Registered
I recently upgraded from an asus p4t-e i850 board to a Gigabyte ga-8ihxp 850e board. I've been running a 1.6a @2.4 on both boards using pc800-40 rdram & using the 3x multiplier for a pc900 speed on the rdram. I recently picked up 2 128mb sticks of Samsung pc1066 RDRAM thinking I could leave my FSB at 150, but using the 1066 RDRAM at the 4X multiplier resulting in PC1200 speed memory. However, even using the over-volatge option on the board for RDRAM, the best I can get it to run is at a 142 FSB. Do you think it is the memory that's holding me back from hitting PC1200 or is it the clock generators on the board? I was thinking that 2 different sticks might be worth trying. Because at this point with my current setup, the PC800-40 RDRAM is a better option because it allows me to run my P4 1.6a @2400 because of the 3X multiplier. Running the PC1066 memory will not allow my computer to boot when the bios is set to the 3X multiplier. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.:eek:

I think something like this was discussed before, and the answers were that the PC1066 memory is not as long "in the field" as the PC800, so the manufacturing process is not as refined, so you end up with PC800 RDRAM overclocking to as much as PC1066 and sometimes more, but PC1066 will only overclock about 10%. A lot of people only seem to be able to get their RDRAM between the 140->150 range. Anything more is a bit rare (without buying special costly RDRAM).

Getting PC1066 ro run in a i850, and not an i850E board is tough, some have luck, some don't.

You get more bandwidth with PC1066@142FSB with x4 don't you?
Does this give better performance then when you had your PC800 maxed out?
Which ever gives better performance, use it.

depends on what kinda sticks u got. i have some older35 ns sammy sticks.. they run to 1220 but only stable a little past 1066. most of the newer 32ns pc 1066 will run to pc1200 stable...as for the clockgens youll have to get the serial nos. and check em out some will go to pc 1200 others are only good for pc800 speeds

Last edited:
congrats on yer new rig batboy.. nice overclock. i want a steup like that witha prommie. sadly reality calls, gotta finsh my carport, fix the rotten backdoor frame .. and finish redoing my laundry room.. then i maybe a new screamer

Back