• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Springdale OC as well as Canterwood?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FACTION95Si

I'm sorry if this is a repost.

I want to know if an 865 board will overclock as well as an 875 board? Is it worth spending the extra $50 for the 875 board?

two boards to consider:

Abit's IC7 = Canterwood board

Asus' P4P800 = Springdale board

both cost about the same ($145 USD) but I can guarantee you that the IC7 will always shine ahead over the P4P800.

some people will say different but just look at most of the reviews.

even if the IC7 is only 2 points higher in all the benchies, thats still 2 points its got on the P4P800.

and the best part of the IC7? its got a REAL BIOS that most people can easily understand and tune for maximum performance unlike the P4P800's "tooty-frooty" BIOS thats got all kinds of goofy things that litterally amount to nothing.

trust me, I know. I've been there and done that with both boards and returned the POS board they call the P4P800.

I know about the shortcomings of Asus and Abit but I want to know if a 875 board will generally overclock better than an 865 board.

Springdale vs Canterwood OC...

There has been no evidence that the P4P800 will OC worse than the Canterwood one.

You OC capability will largely depend on OTHER factors - but NOT the chip-sets. Both are rated at the same speed as far as I know. The only difference is in the chip-set capabilities (bells and whistles) like PAT etc. But I don't think it makes much difference for OC.

In fact, in several posts people report P4P800 to be 'faster':
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199166&highlight=is+p4p800+faster

This may be of interest to you:http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/event/P4P800/index.html

:cool:

There's an article on ocworkbench about how to turn all Springdale boards into Canterwoods (by enabling PAT). Of course, not owning either board, I can hardly test it, but if this hack works it could be really useful. For example, spending the extra money on a 2.6 rather than 2.4 PIV

FACTION95Si said:
I want to know if an 865 board will overclock as well as an 875 board? Is it worth spending the extra $50 for the 875 board?

Depends on what you expect for your $50.

If you have to have the last MHz of overclock in your system, and if everything else is so good that a minute variation in the motherboard chipset is going to be the weak link, then the Canterwood will be money well spent. (About a buck a megahertz worth of well spent from what I've seen.)

Personally, I'm not one of those people. I don't pay much attention to benchmark scores or run my system at full overclocked speed. All I care about is application performance and there the difference is too small to be detected even in programs I know better than some members of my own family. I'd pick a board for its PCB color before Canterwood vs. Springdale became a factor.

BHD

Canterwoods are speed-binned parts, the fastest of the tested Springdale silicon (not all Springdales are tested to become Canterwoods). Think of a Canterwood as a 3GHz P4, it's got a better chance of hitting those high speeds. The Springdales/lower P4s can hit those speeds too but with a greater probability of failure.

Plus, the Canterwood gives you the full PAT implementation and not the semi-PAT modes (ie. HyperPath) that some of the Springdale boards give you. But you can buy a Springdale with a semi-PAT mode, save yourself some money and be very close to those Canterwood guys in performance terms.:)

Re: Springdale vs Canterwood OC...

momchi said:
There has been no evidence that the P4P800 will OC worse than the Canterwood one.

You OC capability will largely depend on OTHER factors - but NOT the chip-sets. Both are rated at the same speed as far as I know. The only difference is in the chip-set capabilities (bells and whistles) like PAT etc. But I don't think it makes much difference for OC.

In fact, in several posts people report P4P800 to be 'faster':
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199166&highlight=is+p4p800+faster

This may be of interest to you:http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/event/P4P800/index.html

:cool:

momchi,

in your first link, I see no replys that state that the P4P800 is faster in any way, shape or form.
infact, as stated by others as well as myself, the benchies you see on most web sites do not tell you that the P4P800 is running at 3fsb higher then normal....
at 200fsb it is realy at 203fsb.
PAT in no way, shape or form is enabeled on any springdale chip.

I happen to like the asus P4P800, yet they did nothing to help the poor performance to RAID.
up to 40% cpu usage for raid 1 is unspeekable.
infact raid1 was almost as fast as raid0 on the asus.:eek:
if your not going RAID, then the asus P4P800 may sound like a nice choice.

the abit IS7 just got a new updated bios.
it as well as the IC7 have much better bandwith now.
(compared to the old, first bios that most web sites reported)
I'm seeing a 300/300 point increase in sandra with a new beta bios.
infact, the HOCP review shows the IS7 beat out the P4P800 on all levels.
*please take all reviews with a grain of salt.*

anyway, don't just think that you may be able to save some money when OCing.
the springdales are not bad, it's just that you may not be able to OC as high as a canterwood...and no PAT.
plus if you are looking at RAID,skip the P4P800...it stinks.

mica

Back