• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dehumidifier question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JML

My dad let me rip apart the old humidifer cause he thinks its broke. I took the cover off and plugged it in, nothing happens, fan doesn't even turn on. Is it the wiring, or is the compressor dead?

Now, of course the point is I wanna see if I can adapt this to cooling a cpu. Humidifiers are basicly air conditioners that reheats the air before it goes out. All I have to do is move the hot coils (the condensor?) and the evaporator out of the way of each other.

Yeah it is simple to convert a dehumidifier into a water chiller.Your problem does sound like wiring, you shuld try wiring up compressor only.But be sure to note exactly how it is wired up now.If you can get the compressor to start up then you can work on getting the fan working.

I don't think I'll be using the existing fan, its really loud. If I can get it to work I have an 120mm AC fan thats a lot quieter. Its kinda low flow, maybe like 70cfm, but should work well enough (I think).

I'm not really sure where to start...lots of wires and stuff....
I think I'll start ripping it apart see where that gets me.

Id get one of those 120mm fans with a built in reostat. and a ac>dc 12v convertor are like 5 bucks at some online stores. if your worried about noise :)

I gotta dig up batteries for my webcam.

It's a piece of crap cam, and when you hook it up to the computer instead of powering itself from the usb port, it instead just drains the batteries. Forgetting to unplug = dead batteries :mad:

I'll try and draw up a pic of it though asap

i want to cut the wires in my dehumidifer or rig it so that it wont start then have my dad let me take mine apart :)

but they coost a good bit so i wont do that...

ok drawing the wiring on this thing is gonna take like an hour :rolleyes:

I'm gonna see what I can rip off so I can get a better view of the wiring. There's some thing attached to the compressor that a lot of the wiring is coming from, what is this thing?

wirelayout2.jpg

Just saw a wire I didn't notice before! It's coming from the power cord, it looks like it goes on to the part I labeled "power locator" on the above diagram! now where does it go....

Last edited:
shazbot- I fixed it!

I updated the above pic to show all the wires.

Now that I fixed it my dad is asking me to put it back together so he can use it :rolleyes:

I shouldn't have told him :p

Last edited:
Yes. Yes it does. ;)

He all ready bought a new one though, I may be able to still use it.

Now, if I can use it, I have to re-arrange the parts (the condensor and evaporator in right next to each other, because dehumidifiers reheat the air before it leaves the unit).

Just turned it for like 30 seconds; the evaporator gets really cold, and the condensor got really hot (the fan for some reason is only spinning really slow, but it doesn't matter, I'm replacing it).

Last edited:
well if u were like me u would build an acrylic res around it out of .236 (1/4inch @ home depot) acrylic and put in inlet and outlet on it.

I've checked for a variable for the fan- can't find one.

I'm gonna have to cut the lines to set it up in a way I can make use of it. How do I refill it?

I've been unable to find any info on how I can refill the unit after cutting the lines, and google searching hasn't come up with anything useful

Back