• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

two radiators maybe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCn00b

I got my koolance stuff a couple months ago and things were fine(relatively speaking) but with summer coming on I'm pretty sure the temps may start creeping up to where I don't want them to be. I was thinking about putting a second radiator in but I'm not sure how much help if any that will be. Since koolance had decided to use 3/16" lines, I've been told I'm going to have to use a heater core from a motorcycle. If this is true, where is a good place to get one? Also, will using 2 radiators even help? Thanks.

*edit

Also, if two radiators won't help, is there any way to cool the water in the reservoir?

Have you tried using a transmission cooler? Something like Hayden (the older Swiftech RAD676 is a smaller Hayden) or Pro-Cool can be had relatively inexpensively. You might not even need to use extra fans assuming you duct it near intakes.

It's just a thought. I've never seen a motorcycle radiator, so I don't know if it would be better or cheaper than a tranny cooler.

(note: Not the tube-n-fin tranny coolers, but the black ones that DON'T get bent up just by looking at 'em wrong).

I haven't tried anything yet, I'm still just trying to figure out what's the best way to go about doing this. Actually just cooling the water would probably be good enough but I figured an extra radiator would be the best way.

Either get a really good heatercore, or try and scout out a cheap but good oil cooler (some can be great, some cant)
But 2 small heatercores in a series might work too.

How expensive are good heater cores? I don't really have alot to spend on one. Also, are their any places online that sell them used?

OCn00b said:
How expensive are good heater cores? I don't really have alot to spend on one. Also, are their any places online that sell them used?

They can go for 10~60 depeneding on what u want.
www.dangerden.com and www.dtekcustoms.com sell barbed ones..
You can buy heatercores hella cheap off ebay for as low as 10shipped. but you would have to put the barbs on yourself which would need a torch and to be brazed. not hard, but not easy if you arent experienced.

Well, no torch so putting the barbs on myself isn't an option :) I'll check out dangerden and dtek. Thanks for the links. Also, one really stupid question. Koolance uses 3/16" lines but is that ID or OD? I don't have anything handy to measure with.

Last edited:
Well, don't I feel stupid now. I've been all over that site and still though it was 3/16". The place I bought it from must have made a mistake. Oh well, thanks for clearing that up. So I need to look for barbs for 1/4" then right?

They dont sell heatcores with 1/4" barbs.. way too small.
Problem you will have amoung finding a 1/4" barbed heatercore, is flowrate. Those koolance pumps are only like 146gph or something, and putting a heatcore in the system loop will probly be to powerful.

What you could probly do is mod the res to accpect bigger tubing, and get a 3/8" waterblock, and a 3/8" heatercore, and a 300gph Via aqua pump (submerisable). Wouldnt be too costly (under 60bucks). but thats what i think could work.
you would have to figure out how to mount the heater core tho. that would be a lil hard.
But i didnt think of it be4, and im sorry. But Theres not much you can do to upgrade a koolance setup. There made to handle what u buy basically.

Well, that sucks. I guess that's what I get for buying koolance :( I guess I'm just stuck with what I've got now.

Ok, since I'm stuck with this setup, is there any way I could just chill the water?

Going to a heater core from a Koolance will help, but don't expect miracles. The biggest culprit is the ambient air within your home and if you live in an area with high humidity you have even a bigger problem. Your system is only as good as the air it inhails. Without spending a great deal of more money to improve on the core, block, and airflow your really throwing feathers into the wind........

Last edited:
It's somewhat humid outside but I keep a dehumidifier running since the computer is in the basement so the air is fairly dry.

my idea

couldnt adding another reservoir help cause u will have more water so it will take more time to get as hot?

also if u make your own and have a easy access you could always drop dry ice in it if your feeling stupid i dought it would work but i would be worth a try.

also you say you can put a radiator in the system but i have an idea

idea.JPG

you have second reservoir that the koolance taps into and then have a pump and radiator cooling the second reservoir so then u have cool water getting put back into the system

im writeing this while im ****ed so bit maybe screwed

Two radiators will help, and it might be better to put them in parallel, as then there will be a little less resistance..

Re: my idea

DrSpanky said:
couldnt adding another reservoir help cause u will have more water so it will take more time to get as hot?

also if u make your own and have a easy access you could always drop dry ice in it if your feeling stupid i dought it would work but i would be worth a try.

also you say you can put a radiator in the system but i have an idea

you have second reservoir that the koolance taps into and then have a pump and radiator cooling the second reservoir so then u have cool water getting put back into the system

im writeing this while im ****ed so bit maybe screwed

Adding a res. is not going to help. After a while it's all going to stablize to the ambinet air temp either inside the case or outside the case.

Cjwinnit said:
Two radiators will help, and it might be better to put them in parallel, as then there will be a little less resistance..

A second core will only help if the Koolance is not handling the load, but it all falls back on the ambient air and the ability of the Koolance system.

Last edited:
http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=313 is the setup I've got. The best view is the one right before the video card part, right above where it says Koolance - First Impressions. I've got room for a 2nd res but even then, it would only do me any good if I could maybe put something on it to chill the water.

If your system is stable why worrying about the temps. Once it becomes unstable detune the computer. I live in Arizona where it is really HOT....

Back