• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sandblasted Heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rio71

hi,
FrozenFears, sorry for long time to info. i'm rarely read my pm. :eek:

ok, i wrote in intel-cpu cooler tread, i have made my coolers sandblasting for bigger surface.

first, the intel boxed cooler. this drop the temps around 6-7°C down.
at this time, the boxed cooler was fully comparable with the unmodded 8942. (vcore ~ 1.6V)
this is an respectable score. :cool:

with this success and testing with good result, i made the second cooler blank. alpha pal 8942.
but here, temps drops only 2-3°C down.

tools needed are:
- a gun like this from "building market ":
41464.jpg
- compressor
- normally dry sand from anywhere, not to fine and not to coarse, screened

... funny english, he :D

here two boxed cooler, p3 origin, p4 sandblasted.
sandstrahl-p4-boxed.jpg

oh yes, up to 800-900er sandpaper.
the boxed cooler was easy to lap.
but alpha has an huge area, long time to work.
after work, testing with straight edge.

rio this is a good idea. have you tried to use a coarser sand? if so what effect did it have? is there a possibilty to bend the heatsink fins (involuntarily) if u use a very coarse sand?

do you have a stock amd heatsink to try this on?

Hey no worries on the reply man, I don't check my pm that often either. And thanks for the info, as long as getting the tools aren't too expensive, might be a fun project to spend my money on this summer :)

[EG]~NaTz~ said:
rio this is a good idea. have you tried to use a coarser sand? if so what effect did it have? is there a possibilty to bend the heatsink fins (involuntarily) if u use a very coarse sand?

do you have a stock amd heatsink to try this on?
hi,
no, i have only one sort of sand, plentifully. :D
but this sand is good coarse, you can see the impact's on the near-pic.
still coarser, the sand will sure not pass the nozzle in the gun.

bending the heatsink fins is not possibly.
only with very fine fins like zalman (~0.4mm) or so could be a problem.

i don't have amd's boxed hs, intel for live. :p
... really, you must try sandblasting the boxed cooler, this is insane.
surely, the score is depending from the form and material...

hey FrozenFears, i'm lucky man.
compressed air come trough the wall (on my work), the gun is from my m8 and the sand laying arround in a huge box. :D

I've thought about this, as my Uncle used to run a semiconductor cleaning company he has a full sized sandblasting unit. It would create a much larger surface area by creating billions of microscopic scrapes all over the fins.

Nice to see someone has actually done this and yielded good results.

-Frank

:D I just found out that one of my friend's girlfriend is an art major and has access to sand blasters anytime she wants here at the University of Washington :D plus she's really nice and I'm sure she'd sandblast any heatsink I want :D

don't forget the re-seating of the cooler, you could have gotten a mutch better connection this time around, I'd attempt a couple re-seats if I were you, just to see.

Back