• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What ram to use in 865/875 chipset??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzy0627

Hello just wandering if I have to find matching pairs?

Can I just order 2 memory sticks of 256 from the same batch?

Or do I need to buy 2 x 256 sticks that our twins like corsair sales at newegg......????

I ordered 2 Twinmos sticks and it worked in dual channel with the P4P800 no prob. As long at the speed and size is the same, you shouldn't have problems. Getting 2 sticks from the same batch definitely helps. You don't NEED to buy the sets that corsair sells for dual channel. I think that's more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

-Bobby

I have 2 Geil 512MB Ultra Low Latencey PC-3200 DDR modules in my 865PE NEO2 FIS2R; all seems fine except it won't boot when the RAM is set to 354mhz in the bios. thoough its fine @333 (auto).
I have a 2.53ghz 533 bus CPU so I can't set it to 400...I wish I could.....eventually I will get a 2.8ghz 800 bus CPU though

get yourself two 512MB sticks of Corsair XMS PC3200 and you'll be all set. ;)

i know this is gonna cause some jeers, but it looks like the brand new ocz pc3700 dual channel gold sticks are really something. guys are reporting speeds in excess of 500 mhz.. but its real expensive right now

i was looking at a couple sticks of 512MB kingston CL2.5 KVR400X64C25. these particular sticks are reccommended on the asus website, (i'm planning on buying a P4C800 soon), is this a marketing thing will i see a performance increase over regular DDR400 sticks

AnandTech have a good article where they review the performance of the premium manufacturers' (Corsair, OCZ, TwinMos, HyperX (Kingston) and Crucial) RAM on the 875/865 chipset series' boards. Although Mushkin and Geil seem a bit conspicuous in their absence, the article is quite informative and will help in making a decision for both ram and board. It also shows that you really DO need quality ram when using either of these chipsets, the cheap junk just doesn't cut it anymore.....

so OCZ Basic series PC3200 shpould be fine? it's rated at 2.5-3-3-7 but I currently run it at 2-3-3-7 400MHz on my nForce 2 in dual channel config.

Back