• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roYal

K, i see a lot of the people use p4p800. I want to get a mobo and ram now (switching over from rdram), and i'm debating whether to get the p4p800 or the p4c800. I'll be using xp pro, and i know this topic has been around, but i want to give more detail about my situation. Did most people get the p4p800 over the p4c800 because of the money? $40 cheaper... If it's $40, i don't mind spending the $40 to get a better board. Also, should i get the deluxe version?

I'm just kind of confused on which actual mobo i should get. Thanks.

Also, i want to get the xms3500, can i just get 2 of the regular xms3500, or do i have to get a special kind to support the dual channel ddr? Thanks.

The P4P800 has the ICH5R southbridge chipset. The Deluxe adds a Via IDE raid controller and 1394 Firewire.

The P4C800 used a ICH5 and Promise controller for its raid. Along with PAT (cough, cough) and ECC support.

Some guys like the ICH5R more than the Promise chip for raid, others like 875p chipset over the 865p, claiming that the 865p's are 875p rejects (which in a way, it is) For some, it was a matter of cost. I don't like paying for stuff I'll never use on a board.

I originally ordered a P4P800. I got it earlier this week and had it running for 24 hrs. When I tried to flash the bios to 1007, it died. So I RMA'd it back to googlegear and I asked if I can upgrade to the deluxe version. I have 2 40gig drives that I wanted to raid so I figured since I'm sending the board back, I might as well ask if I can order the deluxe. After some confusion, I put in another order for the deluxe today and should get it sometime next week.

The chipsets are very picky about memory. I didn't have any problems with my Twinmos pc3200 256mb w/CH-5 chips. I've heard a lot of guys using that memory with success. Just order 2 of the same memory for dual channel, no special memory required.

HTHs

-Bobby

jd, i actually just bought the ic7-g. :) Volt modding the board, i dunno what that is anyways. I always thought people volt modded cpu chips to get higher voltage on the cpu. I never heard of volt modding the board, so i guess it doesn't really matter to me.

roYal said:
jd, i actually just bought the ic7-g. :) Volt modding the board, i dunno what that is anyways. I always thought people volt modded cpu chips to get higher voltage on the cpu. I never heard of volt modding the board, so i guess it doesn't really matter to me.
you volt mod the board so you can give the memory more voltage, and hence get better mem oc's, or be able to run your me at the 5:4 at 285+ where as im at 285, and i have to run my mem at 3:2.:(

Back