• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waterblock Lapping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iNSiGMA

Hi friends, I have sanded/lapped my block all the way upto 1500Grit, I have nothing higher than that...

But what I do have are these following products I purchased back in the days of my case painting:

-TurtleWax Brand Polishing Compound & Scratch Remover
-TurtleWax Brand Rubbing Compund & Heavy Duty Cleaner
-3M Professional Formula Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound

The rubbing compounds are made to remove scratches higher than 1200Grit, I have 1500Grit scratches so it should work, what do you guys think though?

I can see very nice and clear reflections off the bottom of the waterblock now, but there are still fine scratches....

Let me know, thanx

iNSiGMA said:
:-( I Guess most companies just user higher grit paper rather than rubbing compound. Thanks people.

I can still use some some lapping tips. I have basically looking at this as a guide:

http://www.8ballshardware.com/articles/lapping/page1.cfm

well althought my review of it isnt officially out (not put on my front page yet) i will give you a link to the review i did of this AWESOME lapping kit http://www.oc-ware.com/reviews/607031.php

I advise you to get that man.. its pretty damn cheap and it goes up to 2000 grit sadn paper and 10000 grit polishing compound but the compound isnt like turtle wax or such but rather a fine solution...

Good kit i must say. I gave it editor's choice :)

rubbing compound fills marks doesnt it? you dont wanna bother with that on a waterblock, it puts another boundry on it. I wouldnt even lap past 600 grit. When are you gonna see the bottom of the waterblock after you put it on? If your worried about it, get some brasso.

Jon

JFettig said:
rubbing compound fills marks doesnt it? you dont wanna bother with that on a waterblock, it puts another boundry on it. I wouldnt even lap past 600 grit. When are you gonna see the bottom of the waterblock after you put it on? If your worried about it, get some brasso.

Jon

your first half is correct, as I said in my first post. However the second half is very wrong. Lapping past 600 grit shows a VERY noticable difference. if you take a surface lapped with 2000 grit like the paper tha tis in the kit and rub it with 600 grit you will see VERY noticable scratches... while scratches are what we are trying to remove... to make it flat as possible.

I'm starting to think all I need now is just some higher grit paper > 2000Grit and finish off the block. I'll just get some more paper from the automotive place soon.

Thanks all.

People have done actual thermal testing on this subject and have found little (repeat little, not none) gain in going past 600 grit. There was even an article on the front page that showed someone having bad results from going higher. As is always stated, FLAT is better than shiny. The scratches are a minor thing, that's what your thermal compound is for.

Anyway, I chimed in. If you want to believe me great. If you don't, then you have a lot of work ahead of you for very little to no gain besided a beautiful block. (that is one advantage)

These are the steps I follow when I lap a heat sink or water block. Although I now use a 2" thick piece of granite that has been tested to .10000 of being flat at University Of Arizona Optical Science Building in Tucson, Az.

1. Use a piece of flat glass 3/8" or thicker as your work surface (it must be very flat, and supported well)

2. Use waterproof sandpaper (sometimes called wet or dry)

3. Use lots of water (several cc at a time, the water flushes the metal particles away, keeps the sandpaper clog free, and makes it stick to the glass)

4. Depending on how flat and smooth your heatsink is, expect to spend 30 minutes or more at lapping the surface.

5. Use a relatively light pressure on the workpiece and move it in a circlular motion across the sandpaper; try to keep an even downward force on the workpiece and avoid digging in the edges or corners. Rotate the heatsink 90 degrees approximately (NOT exactly) every dozen or so strokes.

6. If your heat sink is relatively flat and smooth, then 400 grit is a good place to start. If after ten minutes of work you do not see much progress (there are many pits larger than the surface roughness left by the 400 grit sandpaper), drop to a lower number grit (320) or (260).

7. Using finer grit sandpaper will help improve heat transfer: 1500 is certainly fine enough, but since you need to get such fine grades at an automobile parts store (it is used for finishing automobile paintwork), you might as well get a sheet each of 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000. The more coarse grits are easy to find at a paint or hardware store 40, 60, 80, 120, 180, 220, 280, 320, 400, 600. (Grit # 40 will take the portrait off a franc coin in a minute or so; the average heatsink with faint circular milling marks can probably be started at 320.) 800 grit is where I stop lapping.

8. The work can be completed in less time if you step up through each grade, removing all the pits left by the previous grade before moving to the next finer grit.

9. Each time you change to a finer grit, VERY carefully wash the work surface, your hands, the heatsink, and the sandpaper. Any larger grit left when you start with a finer grade will leave visible scratches.

10. The waterproof (or wet/dry) sandpaper will last a long time. After you are through with the work, wash the sandpaper and let it dry. You can reuse it many times as long as it is not torn.

11. As an example of how fine 2000 grit is, you could use it on Mercedes paintwork and almost not notice an effect other than the missing wax polish.

12. Do not use too much pressure when sanding the heatsink; you want a flat as well as a smooth surface, and too much pressure can cause one edge or corner to be ground down more quickly (that is one reason for occasionally rotating the heatsink a random amount.) Too much pressure may also cause a corner to tear the sandpaper. If you do not tear the sandpaper, one sheet of each grade should last through ten or more heatsinks.

Last edited:
Hmm... From one of the greats. Maybe it all depends on how you apply your thermal compound. If you have no luck getting it thin, then maybe 600 is the place to stop.

...I'm just talking outta my bum, but I could swear I've read this stuff on here before...

Personally I stop at 800. It has been said that the AS lll needs something to bond too. I had read that if the block gets to smooth that AS lll would move away from the area where the block meets the die. I can not verify this, but 800 grit is where I draw the line at.

xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx:
please state where you get this crazy info.

Jon

JFettig said:
xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx:
please state where you get this crazy info.

Jon

I will be civil :)

Lap a surface with paper going from 600 800 1000 1500 to 2000 properly

Now takethat nice smooth finish and take some 600 grit and just take one tiny swipe in half the corner you willsee much deeper scratches and it wont look as smooth as the one with 2000 grit.

And i DID try the method of 600 grit before.. heard it in some article a few years ago taht you shouldnt go past 600 ... so i did a comparison of 600 VS 2000 grit. The 2000 grit did 2c better than 600 grit. Yes the as3 does fill the ridges but you want the as3 to have to do as little correction as possible, rather than have to use more and have to hope taht it goes into EVERY tiny crevice

xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx said:

I will be civil :)

Lap a surface with paper going from 600 800 1000 1500 to 2000 properly

Now takethat nice smooth finish and take some 600 grit and just take one tiny swipe in half the corner you willsee much deeper scratches and it wont look as smooth as the one with 2000 grit.

And i DID try the method of 600 grit before.. heard it in some article a few years ago taht you shouldnt go past 600 ... so i did a comparison of 600 VS 2000 grit. The 2000 grit did 2c better than 600 grit. Yes the as3 does fill the ridges but you want the as3 to have to do as little correction as possible, rather than have to use more and have to hope taht it goes into EVERY tiny crevice

2c gain could come from many variables……….

Back