• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help identifying compressor, and usefullness of it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGhengisKhan

BANNED TROLL -Per Silversinksam
I have been wanting to switch over from standard water-cooling to phase-change for quite a while now, but lack of funding has been holding me back.
Low and behold, I was driving my daughter over to her friends house earlier today when I see a full size fridge/freezer sitting on the curb at a house I'm passing by. After dropping her off I stopped by and asked about it. It works fine, they just bought a new one and were throwing the old one out. Long story short, I now have the entire compressor, coils, and I think 2 radiators? (they have pipes from the compressor winding back and forth through them, and a bunch of fins attached to them)
The fridge was about a 10 year old Sears one. Anyone have any idea what this thing would be rated? the compressor itself is about 8 inches in diameter, and about 9-10 inches tall. And if it is usable, which set of tubes from the compressor are supposed to go into my res?

also, there is no freon in it (they had it emptied before placing it out for the trash) can I use one of those freon refill kits they sell at auto-zone?

does the compressor say anything on it? Im sure its big enough for cooling a cpu, the kit you buy at auto-zone wont work though because the oil is not the right kind. You can use propane however but you will need to make an adaptor for the propane bottle and buy a cheap manifold in order to fill it. Im not sure how much money you want to spend on this project, you might be able to just stick the cold coils (evaporator) into some liquid to make a chiller.

yes now one thing. when u guys propane make sure its not know to the public. due to the fact that it is illegal to charge a phase change unit with it. i figured this out about a month ago. i am going to look at the copressor to my minifridge and see how strong it is. it is older so i know its not bunk. but there is a fridge in teh trash down the street so im gonna grab that too. i am however not sure if i want to make a chiller or a DD. i may do a combination cooler. like bowman from phase-change.com.

what? illegal? who told you that? Maybe its illegal if you fill someone elses fridge with it in order to repair it but I really dont think its illegal if you fill a custom made unit with it. I even told the place where I go to get my refrigeration parts that I will be using propane after they asked what refrigerant I will be using. They have to ask so they dont get sued for selling me produces after knowing full well Im using a illegal gas. All he said was not to blow myself up. Now everytime I go in the shop I have to show him my fingures:(

some *bad person* stole 2 propane tanks from behind my house.. i was mad... hopefully they exploded in their vehicle! oh sorry...

the thing that was attached o the back of the fridge is the condensor. you want to put the other radiator type thing in the water.

this one was build kinda strange, there was no radiator type thing on the back of the fridge, there were 2 (on 2 seperate loops from the condensor) all underneath the fridge.
It may be a useless point now though, I just realized that the line that led up into the rest of the fridge was cut off. Could have been whoever drained the freon from the system for them, but is there a way around this? like soldering some copper flex-tube of the same size to the end of it and coiling that around and capping it off? (it seemed to be a 1-way tube, as there is no return line to the compressor from this one)

Back