• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canterwood 3:4 and 4:5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

Will a selector for 3:4 or 4:5 divider ever be added to the canterwood chipset?
I want to retain my 426mhz memory speed with my 2.4b cpu, then that way people would have plently of memory bandwidth, much like the C stepping cpu's.

microfire said:
Will a selector for 3:4 or 4:5 divider ever be added to the canterwood chipset?

uhh, there are 3:2 , 5:4 dividers on the Canterwood boards.

or, at least there is on the IC7.

I don't know if they will ever do it, but my gut doesn't give me a lot of hope. Intel's feelings about overclocking are legendary. Its bad enough that they have to give us BIOS tools to overclock anyway. But adding 3:4 and 4:5 dividers would allow us to fully match Northwood C performance with having to buy a Northwood C chip.

But the other side of the coin is, you're getting Northwood C memoty bandwidth and processor speed with your 2.4B and IT7 MAX 2 v2 set up right now. The only thing you're losing to the 865PE/875P boards are AGP 8X, D-DDR and the ICH5(R) southbridge controller with real S-ATA support.

If its worth trading up from something like an IT7 is a tough call. It really comes down to D-DDR vs. raw bandwidth. I think you'd have slightly better application performance with D-DDR running at 1:1. (Provided you have good memory like your Corsair XMS.) But is that worth two bills? I don't know.

BHD

yes it has the dividers for a 'b' chip 4:5

oh and its nice to have a high fsb withought adding any vdd adjustments

Do you have one Shane? I'm not asking that because I'm accusing you of lying or anything like that. Its because the reviews and owner comments I've seen for the IC7 and P4P800 only show the 3:2 and 5:4. If you have different information (and what board you have) that would be very good news.

BHD

yes i have the epox one, using a 533 chip

when using a 533 chip, it has 4:5 divider (3:4 are only available in some boards like the IC7).

even when you go over 200fsb its still only 4:5

there is no 5:4/3:2 memory dividers when using a 533 b chip

thats strange, i have been all over the net but cant find anyone using these settings to reach 200 - 225+ mhz memory speed.
I need more evidince to convince me.

I875P supports the following system memory clock ratios....

3:2, 5:4, 1:1, 4:5 and 3:4.

The MCH can be fooled into using any of them at any given FSB speed if you've got a suitable BIOS.:D

Coz said:
I875P supports the following system memory clock ratios....

3:2, 5:4, 1:1, 4:5 and 3:4.

The MCH can be fooled into using any of them at any given FSB speed if you've got a suitable BIOS.:D

does this mean you can use 3:2 and 5:4 on 533 cpus?

Shane5578 said:

does this mean you can use 3:2 and 5:4 on 533 cpus?
If the BIOS allows it then yes. If it doesn't then it would require modding to allow access to those dividers. Intel's official divider/FSB combos for I875P look something like this.....

400FSB, 3:4, DDR266
533FSB, 1:1, DDR266
533FSB, 4:5, DDR333
800FSB, 3:2, DDR266
800FSB, 5:4, DDR333
800FSB, 1:1, DDR400

Like I say though, you can use any divider at any FSB as long as the BIOS allows it. If it doesn't then it needs modding. Don't ask me about modding though, all I know is that there are tools out there that allow you to do it.

JKeefe said:
Apparently if the BIOS allows it - but why would you want to?

Exactally. ^

Thats why you would need 3:4 or a 4:5 setting to max out your PC3200 or PC3500 memory modules when using a 533fsb cpu. Then that way you would not need to buy a 800fsb cpu.
I only see reports of peoples being able you run 1:1 with 533fsb cpu.
Does anyone have any web links to evidence where people's are obtaining BIG memory bandwidth with canterwood boards and 533fsb cpu's?

i'm already running 205fsb with a 533chip on my canterwood, and my memory is preventing me going any further.

and i'm unable to find a board that enables 5:4

That was a guy reporting the 4:5 was unstable, even with the cpu running at stock rates. There is no doubt 865/875 supports 3:4 and 4:5 modes, the question is if there is any board on which they function correctly or if there will ever be.

larva said:
That was a guy reporting the 4:5 was unstable, even with the cpu running at stock rates. There is no doubt 865/875 supports 3:4 and 4:5 modes, the question is if there is any board on which they function correctly or if there will ever be.

So there is a common problem with 3:4 and 4:5 settings through out the 865/875 chipset range?

Terry said:
http://www.pbase.com/image/15917946

I jerked the 2.8 off my other IC7 now to try a 2.4c on it but here the 2.8 [533] was running fine at 170mhz with the memory running at 425mhz in Dual Channel

Why would you want to do that for, if the 533 and 3570mhz cpu overclock?
Was it because the memory bandwidth kind of sucks?

The memory bandwidth looks low even though you were in dual channel mode at 425mhz. Could you not run 3:4, was that to high.
Im running at 170fsb right now, it could have the same bandwidth.
If the bandwidth at 425mhz is going to be that low I think I will stay with my current mainboard.

Maybe the actual fsb mhz limits the amount of memory bandwidth a canterwood system can flow, even though you were able to maxiumise your memory mhz.

Back