• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

large jump under load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freezermug

Idle temperature is 27-32 c. If I do 10 runs of sandra burn in test 100% cpu load my temperatures raise and hover around 47-49 c.

Most posts I have seen there is (roughly) 10 c from idle to load.

Im getting almost double. Is this something I should be worried about and reseat the heatsink or is it fine. Seems kind of high for the heatsink / fan combo.

Thats happend to me on my old system. There realy isnt anything to worry about, at least in my case, it never hurt anything.

There's nothing to worry about. Your idle temperature gets low with a fairly strong fan (yes, even 40cfm is fairly strong in the big scheme of things). The idle temp is affected more by stiff airflow. As cpu load is generated the heat developed can't be "hidden" by a strong fan as easily. If you went with a truly powerful fan like a tornado I think you would see the trend become even more pronounced.

I think your temps are a touch high, but it is dangerous to compare temps between different systems. Accuracy is poor enough to make one board's numbers a different thing than another's. My P4 at similar clock rate only generates around 46.5C under load with a 37cfm fan. Yours is a touch higher but that is more likely board calibration than any deficit in your cooling scheme. Also, the heat spreader on my chip has been smoothed out, it may be responsible for different numbers. Or your chip may just output slighty different temperature information. A degree or two here or there is nothing to worry about if the machine is stable.

i totally agree. load temps are affected far more by case airflow than idle temps.

Try taking the side off and see if your load temps drop. If they drop by a significant amount, then you can be pretty sure that its poor-airflow to blame. 50c is a little high, but nothing to worry about.

All of the case fans are just stock ones that came with the system. most are rated at 2200 rpm.

Its the first time ive applied as 3 as opposed to just using a thermal pad. The stuff is not as greasy as I thought it would be.

A small bead was placed on the heatsink. Rubbed it clean off with a coffee filter to fill the little valleys. Placed a small bead on the processor and spead it as neatly as possible with a clear doggy bag.

im positive the layer was thick enough that you couldnt see the markings on the processor (at all). So little seems to go so far. Is that to much?

Not knowing if I really did put to much will prob drive me to the point of trying again :(

Last edited:
Back