• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooler!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sk7 is a great choice. Personally its what i'd buy today if i needed a heatsink. Just go with a fan that is within your noise / overclocking desires.

Yeh sk-7 is very good cooler and very good value

for a fan i went with the smartfan2 because its adustable from virtual silance up to very high cfm and noise

That would work well but what you have to remember is that the fan will get reasonably louder, maybe by 5db, when you install it on a heatsink. This is because when air is moving fast things such as cool fins or pns create a back pressure on the fan which creates turbulant air that is louder than straight flowing air.

Daniel

Well personally I hate clips...Nothing like hanging a 400 or 500 gram hunk of metal on the plastic cpu socket...NOT!!!...If your motherboard has the four holes to mount the SLK-800U I would opt for that versus the SK-7...Really is not that hard to mount and if you move your box around, bolting it to the motherboard is the way to go...You might also check out this Y.S. Tech 80m/m fan that is adjustable http://www.directron.com/ystech8.html Really I like the SLK-900 because you can use 92m/m fans...And it is probably the best if not the best air cooling solution available...:D

do u have to take the mother board out in order to mount the slk-800 u on it ????

Wolfeinstein said:
do u have to take the mother board out in order to mount the slk-800 u on it ????

Yes, you have to place the counter-mount, if you want to call it that, on the opposite side of the motherboard. I don't have experience in this yet.. wish I did. Fins directly over the core would seem more efficient, yes?

-Frank

yes, you have to take it out. If I was going to put on a clip heatsink I would too. Just too easy to chip a core.........

Like most things, after you do it one time it aint no thang...Sidewinder sells a kit from Thermalright that uses metal standoffs with washers and nylon lock nuts to keep the standoffs from coming loose when you take the heatsink off...Making it necessary to unscrew and lift the motherboard to tighten the standoffs...The trick is to tighten the heatsink until the screws for the heatsink bottom out...You do not need to tighten the screws any more than that...Make sure and just start the four screws and tighten them is a criss cross manner 1/2 to 1 turn until they bottom out and you are in...:D

Back