• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beware of 875P motherboards with HT processors!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

esencia

This is my experience.
I've bought a Gigabyte 8knxp with a 3.06ghz HT processor. Everything run extremely fast, BUT..... Cubase SX was giving me problems with some kind of distorsions when I play audio or a VSti. It´s like my hammerfall 9652 card lost sync and audio starts playing noises and crackles at low latencies. It only worked well with 12ms or more latency (too much for a hammerfall card).
I thought that it could be an irq problem with my hammerfall, but no. I placed it to several PCI slot and I found same problem in each combination.I did all the performance tips, and nothing.
I though that MAY BE new hyperthreading tecnology could have some kind of blame here.. but no.
Finally... I decided to test HT in another mobo, so I changed my 3.06 HT processor to my other mobo with 845PE chipset and HT support, and..... In this mobo everything runs great at even 1.5ms !!!!!!!
So the problem must be located in the 875P chipset of Gigabyte 8knxp mobo.
So beware with this mobo or this chipset!!!
I've heard that intel had problems tunning their 875P chipsets so may be this is one of those issues that weren´t solved.

what memory frequency did you use? if you tried with the 200, it couldn't work well, as it's async with your cpu (you should go for 166)

i've got the same mobo, but the cpu is the 3.0c P4, so my memory frequency is 200, and it works perfectly with or withou HT (not only in games, but 3dsmax 5 and photoshop 7, and other stuff of the type)

Back