• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overvolting a TEC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_master

I got a 156w 15v TEC that I was thinking of overvolt to 17v. Will it hurt the TEC? And will it bring any improvments in performance?

as far as i know it should increase the available cooling power however i cant say wether or not it will hurt your tec... also run a couple calculations to make sure your amps will still be acceptable

DO NOT OVERVOLT TECs

The little elements will probably explode as they are already fairly high-powered. Lots more volts means that the devices could possibly go into thermal runaway or just short out - leaving your wires pretty hot

even if the overvolting didnt hurt the tec, you probably wouldnt get any real performance gains from it. i think overvolting would just get you a lot more heat, and not a whole lot more cold, if you know what i mean. i wouldnt expect more than a 1-2 C temp change at best. and the hotside temp would probably rise at least 2 times that. not to mention, its dangerous!

Vmax for a TEC is, by definition, the voltage at which the maximum temperature differential is achieved under ideal conditions.

It's simply impossible to get better cooling by exceeding Vmax.

Ok, thx, but you should know that I'm not going to cool my cpu with the TEC...I'm gonna cool my beer with it :)

I've already made a prototype, and that got me to 10'C for my beer, but I am in the persuit of about 0-4'C ;)

sry for the late response but I've been working....

I using an old HS from a compaq I slaughtered a while ago. It gets hot, but it is easyly cooled due to the large size of it...

I have pictures of my now dissassebled prototype.
Well, it did get my beer down to 10'C :D

http://pr0n.se/~ghalen/pics/peltier/

if you want better temps, look into some insulation, and possibly a better hsf. that one looks pretty old, and it just might not be up to the job. you can get an sk6 for $10 at www.svc.com now. better cooling would drop your temps some. insulation around the beer and the cold plate would probably make a big difference. good luck. if you build another prototype, be sure to post more pics.

theres no need to overvolt it, if you dont like what you are getting from it, get a higher rated TEC and better insulation.

ok, I'll keep that in mind when I build my "real" beer-cooler.

It'll be a while until I do it though, I gotta work this summer... :(

I was wondering this too, I built a power supply that puts out 17v with no load, silvershadow(john channels) told me it should drop when I put a large load on it. I just wanted to make sure I dont fry anything.
glad someone else asked so I didnt have to;)

Cool, one more proof that all oveclockers are kind of nuts, that's what makes us so imaginative I believe :D

Just a note to anyone considering overvolting past Vmax. This will cause your TEC to get warmer on both sides of the TEC. So unless you want warm beer or a fried CPU do not go past Vmax.

the_master said:
I got a 156w 15v TEC that I was thinking of overvolt to 17v. Will it hurt the TEC? And will it bring any improvments in performance?

TECs work great as long as you manage the temps they see. They typically are assembled with a low melt point solder with bismuth, tin, etc. , so when the TEC internal connections reach that melting point, maybe about 200 - 250 degress F, they fail. That may not relate directly with your cpu temps since the TEC bonded portion is away from the cpu chip. Caveat emptor on that one ... increase a few tenths of a volt at time and see, but it will fail at some point with increased voltage, depending on the rest of your cooling system. My experience is that they will keep going just fine until they melt, which usually happens quickly and unexpectedly. At that point, you will need a new TEC unit and probably a new cpu.

To paraphrase "Dirty Harry", "do you feel lucky?" Good luck (my words!)

KK

what a cool project!

have you tried lower voltages though? are you sure the heatsink can handle all that heat?

because if it's the heatsink that can't handle the heat, then you might get better temperatures with lower voltages.

Back