• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can anyone with a Gigabyte 8INXP help me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

typer

Registered
I just got some new parts and want to know what is the best way to set this up. Just bought a Lian Li PC-70 so I should have no trouble fitting everything in it. Here's the stuff I need to put in. A cd/dvd rom, CD-R, DVD burner, and two 120 gig harddrives (don't want to run RAID), audigy 2, and a zip drive. Wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what should be the primary and secondary masters and slaves? What is the best way to set this up so I can burn cd's or dvd's (legally) on the fly? Also how come my motherboard doesn't recognize anything I connect to IDE3 or IDE4? Do I need to download those promise RAID drivers, even though I do not want to run RAID? Does anyone have those drivers they can email me? Thanks in advance for your help

:D

If you get the motherboard you are talking about you can configure the RAID headers (Promise 20276) so that it acts as a normal IDE controller. In that case, put them all as "Master" and put the Main HDD on IDE 3 and the backup HDD on IDE 4. I would use the RAID drivers to do it, and then change it to ATA (i.e. not RAID) in the BIOS afterward.

We have an Intel Gigabyte section now, after pleading with the admins. :)

How about this?

DVD - Master 2
CDRW - Master 1
Zip - Slave 2
First HDD - Master 3
Second HDD - Master 4

Where "Master 1" means connect as Master on IDE 1.

typer said:
Does anyone have those drivers they can email me?

I have them for that RAID chipset but it's on my GA-8IRXP, so i'd get the zip from the Gigabyte website. I'll dig out the link and post it here.

Edit, here you go:

RAID Drivers for your mobo, straight from Gigabyte.

Other drivers for your mobo.

And just for reference, Your motherboard.

Last edited:
Thanks Cjwinnit. Where should I connect my dvd burner I just got? I want to be able to burn cd-r, or dvd-r's on the fly. Thanks again

typer said:
Thanks Cjwinnit. Where should I connect my dvd burner I just got? I want to be able to burn cd-r, or dvd-r's on the fly. Thanks again

(Edit: you now have 3 optical drives?)
In that case:

DVD drive: Master 1
CD burner: Slave 1
DVD burner: Master 2
Zip disk: Slave 2

(and the Hard drives stay as they are)

This way the DVD drives are on seperate cables, and should burn fast.

If you want to copy a CD then use the DVD burner as a CD-burner if you can.

Cjwinnit said:

(Edit: you now have 3 optical drives?)
In that case:

DVD drive: Master 1
CD burner: Slave 1
DVD burner: Master 2
Zip disk: Slave 2

(and the Hard drives stay as they are)

This way the DVD drives are on seperate cables, and should burn fast.

If you want to copy a CD then use the DVD burner as a CD-burner if you can.

Yeah I have 3 optical drives. That's why I'm unsure of how to set this up. Have a 52x speed lite on cd-r and just got by dvd burner. Want to use the cd-r for burning cd's instead of the dvd burner because it's so much faster. Anyways, Cjwinnit I downloaded the RAID drivers from the Gigabyte website, but my problem now is that I can't seem to install them? Do I need to do it while I'm installing windows xp? If you can, can you please tell me step by step exactly how to install them with windows xp already installed. Thanks again for your help

If you want to use the CD burner to copy CD's then put the CD that will be recorded from in the DVD-R drive and the blank CD in the CD burner in my setup.

If you wanted you could swap the Zip and the DVD player over but then you could not copy DVD disks on the fly... Hmm, dilemma.

Ok, the RAID drivers. At the minute, what is the main Hard disk connected to (which plug), and what other drives are in the computer? You can install the drivers after an XP installation.

Back