• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TOAST = Not good *sizzle*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

L337 M33P

I ran the program TOAST.exe on my less than adequately cooled system - Within 30 seconds my temperatures were in the high 60s and climbing - so I aborted TOAST and went into the BIOS to set up the COP temperature - 70C sounded about right

Anyway booted back into windows and started TOAST - within 3 seconds my system shut down and wouldn't power on again for about 30 seconds

HWmonitor said the temp was 65C - what gives?

It got too hot. Toast ussually makes your cpu hotter than anything else.. your pc should never get that hot though. I set mine to shut off at 56. HWmonitor is just not the same temp as the bios i'd say, if that's what your asking.

Hmm the thing is I'm afraid to try again - at the risk of frying my CPU. Hwmonitor usually reports temps very solidly and I am impressed with such a dinky program but the readings got slightly jittery when I started TOAST with no COP on.

What does TOAST do that the other benchmarks don't? To get a higher temp I mean

Lots - to list but a few:

Sisoft Sandra CPU Burn-in - 20x at high priority
SETI@home for long periods
F@H for a while
Playing CS for an hour straight
Prime95 Torture test for 30mins
A really wierd fractal generation engine that was *supposed* to stress the CPU but didn't

And of course TOAST

well u know what this probably means... MORE COOLING :D.

If your processor is reaching 65C and the computer is freezing, then you need to either back off the O/C or invest in better cooling.

q149 said:
It got too hot. Toast ussually makes your cpu hotter than anything else.. your pc should never get that hot though. I set mine to shut off at 56. HWmonitor is just not the same temp as the bios i'd say, if that's what your asking.

AMD XP CPU can survive up to 90c and even past that before it fries...the rule of thumb on keeping it below 60c max is becasue when you start to reach in the 50c the heat becomes a stability issue...and that is what will cause the freeze up...but in all senses running at 65c+ isn't going to fry the CPU

q149 said:
Well, i never said it would kill it. I just said that's too hot.

I understood what you meant and try to keep mine under 50c at full load also...but I figured I would clearify that to some of the newbies reading...so they wouldn't think that above 65c or so would kill the CPU...

Back