• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GFX card cooling.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fredfredsuk

i am looking to replace oem cooling on my 9700 pro gfx card wut shld i choose ? (must b available for UK)

IMO Best thing to do is use a old cpu cooler. That would give you all the cooling you want but it dose require a bit of modding work/perminant epoxy to get it fixed on. it can take up a couple of pci too but if none of that bothers you its the best way to go.

Ok so first of all are you sure it cant be too heavy for gfx card and brake it.? secondly any cpu coolers that u recommend? thirdly doesnt shim stop proper contact with gpu/how can i narrow it down?

thanx for ure replies

1. The weight of a cpu cooler will not break the card im positive of that

2. Humm what would i recommend well first off take a look here: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187469 that should give you a few ideas. its relly up2 you wether you just buy a cheap aluminium cpu cooler for a few$ or wether you want to spend the extra for a vey good copper version witch would be alot more expencive but not give you that much of a increse in performance.

3. Yes its true the shim dosent help the situation. however it can be removed. i recommend you do a serch in the ati section of the forum as your sure to fine alot of info there.

If you are worried about weight, you could use an aluminum CPU cooler. Remember that using a CPU cooler will take up at least 2 of your PCI slots.

wow cool thanx for all your help peeps.....i dnt think i can risk taking off the shim as i ld cause too mch damage to the GPU is there anyway i can lower it tho? also where can i gte glue from and wut exact type shld i use (wld b VERY bad for it to fall off during use LOL)

if you live in the US, i would buy it from www.svc.com

remember... arctic ALUMINA epoxy, because arctic SILVER expoxy conducts electricity, and could fry your card if you got it on the main PCB.

Hes in the UK! Iam found the same problem when looking! in the end I just gave up. But I know alot more stores now. Just look at the list of vendors and see.

slater3333uk said:
IMO Best thing to do is use a old cpu cooler. That would give you all the cooling you want but it dose require a bit of modding work/perminant epoxy to get it fixed on. it can take up a couple of pci too but if none of that bothers you its the best way to go.

Don't have a sensor on my gfx card yet (ati 9000 pro), and dont reckon it would get too hot.

I bought an exhaust fan that fits into a pci spot, just beneath my gfx card to extract and expel the heat from it, does a bloody good job for over-all case temp too, dropped it by 4 degrees!!

exhaust fan was dirt cheap too (£3.50)

Back