• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The most extreme cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a c i d.f l y

That is purchaseable within the $5000 range. And accessible by uncertified common persons. Liquid nitrogen? Coldest temps possible on-die?

I'm just looking for some interesting links to do some research. I know general 3000-10000BTU air conditioners can do sub-0°C temps in a case, but I'm curious (other than super chilled mainframes) if there's a system out there with CPU die temps under -50°C (such as a liquid nitrogen system).

...basically, I'm looking for links on extreme cooling beyond peltier's and such.

-Frank

You do know that LN2 OCing is just a one shot OC system...you can not run LN2 24/7...people that use LN2 do it for that max OC to run a few benchmarks...

Go to XS and talk to these guys about some extreme cooling...these guys do use some EXTREME cooling...

hmm a custom made refrigeration unit can prolly get you atleast
-30c if not a little lower. I donno what you are asking really. Do you want to make something that will get your -50c temps or buy something?

With extensive modding, you could make a laboratory cryofreezer into a direct die phase change unit.
These are cascade phase change devices that get freezer chambers to -80c or less. It would probably take an EPA lisence for the refrigerants to refill and some extensive HVAC knowlege.

Alternatively you could make your own cascasde phase change.

Either of those would cost around $1000 (Depending on what deals you could get on ebay) Add to that many, many man hours of labor to get them working.

As far as premade for computers- the prometia mach2 is as good as you will get. They get -10 to -20c on die temps.

Like they said LN2 is really a one shot thing. A regenerative system would requre probably $20k and a team of engineers.

if I could spend that money on an extreme cooling project, I would custom make a fridge unit that instead of all the coils it would terminate in a custom made (on CNC) block on the CPU (not quite direct die, but only 1mm or less of copper between the freon and the die) all inside of a custom built case. and I'd probably have enough money left over to buy all new PC parts to put in the case.

Don't CPUs just stop working below a critical temperature? Something about them being semiconductors and semiconductors become insulators at low enough temps

if I could spend that money on an extreme cooling project, I would custom make a fridge unit that instead of all the coils it would terminate in a custom made (on CNC) block on the CPU (not quite direct die, but only 1mm or less of copper between the freon and the die) all inside of a custom built case. and I'd probably have enough money left over to buy all new PC parts to put in the case.

You can buy one of those. Its called a vapochill. They cost $500.

Don't CPUs just stop working below a critical temperature? Something about them being semiconductors and semiconductors become insulators at low enough temps

Well, at low enough temps, just about anything will quit working. IF you get a cpu to a a degree or two above absolute zero, it will become a superconductor (and of course be non-functional as a cpu) However, cpus seem to handle LN2 just fine so the temperature they stop working is probably unobtainably low- maybe liquid helium low.

nealric said:
With extensive modding, you could make a laboratory cryofreezer into a direct die phase change unit.
These are cascade phase change devices that get freezer chambers to -80c or less. It would probably take an EPA lisence for the refrigerants to refill and some extensive HVAC knowlege.

Alternatively you could make your own cascasde phase change.

Either of those would cost around $1000 (Depending on what deals you could get on ebay) Add to that many, many man hours of labor to get them working.

Cascade systems are not $1000.I have built about 3 and only spent money on the copper pipe.You do need to know quite a lot about refrigeration before tackling a cascade system though....

for under $5,000 you can get a ticket to the north pole. Get a watercooling system, and stick the radiator in a glacier ^_^.

Why not put the computer and a phase change system inside of a large freezer?

Maybe I'm just obsessed with those kind of things...

Personally I think this unit is pretty cool...
http://www.ortec-online.com/detectors/xcool.htm

They cool down to 80K.. well thats about -193C...
It's a phase changer and uses a mixed gas containg alot of nitrogen. So.. it can be run day in and day out without service or refilling LN2... it actually replaces pouring LN2 over objects.
Cost? COST ?? who cares... :D

Thanks for the links. That's pretty much what I'm looking for. I know a freezer would work well, but its not a consistent temperature (as the compressor shuts on and off as temps rise/lower). Something that runs consistently.

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO DO MYSELF. I am just researching. Like, finding out what would be possible. Maybe something I could do with a processor in the future.

And the Ortec cooler only costs $290, and you wouldn't have to refill anything. That's not bad. Mounting that to the processor at a decent pressure would be the hard part. You'd be able to find out the max possible speed of a T-Bred B... 3GHz possibly? :) Higher?

And I'm reading that forums link... again, thanks for the links, that's really all I'm looking for.

-Frank

well, some people have lose some of the cpu cache when running very low temps, like bowman,

also water cooling, I think is the best because its not expensive and give you nice overclocks, air is too little and phase change is too much,

It could be me but, I'm almost done with my phase change, but I think is just for fun, not what I will get out of it,

I have notice that the midle of most things are the best value,

ex. video cards

low end, cheap but mostly crap
mid, nice price and nice performance
high end, too pricy and just show

midle is the best of both worlds, and in cooling water takes my vote;)

The most extreme cooling? then that would be liquid nitrogen:D

"Only at pressures above 20 times atmospheric will solid helium form."

Couldn't be used like LN2 can be w/ just dumping it in. You'd have to figure out another way to utilize it.

Back