• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Use my old Arctic Silver 2 or buy fresh AS3/Ceramique?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawkeye_wx

I'm going to buy a new TBred and I'm wondering if I should stick with my old Arctic Silver 2. I have had it for 1.5 years and I haven't done a very good job of storing it. I have kept it in a generally warm place laying on its side and I don't know if the stuff has separated too much or if it is still fine.

If the compound isn't hard, it should be fine. Thermal compound makes a difference of 1-3°C MAX. So I wouldn't worry about it too much... I used 3 year old anti-bacterial cream for 2 months before I got my new chip with free silver compound... keep your $5 for something in the future.

-Frank

AS3 from newegg would actually be $10 including shipping. I would rather not buy new stuff, but I will if I really need to.

hawkeye_wx said:
AS3 from newegg would actually be $10 including shipping. I would rather not buy new stuff, but I will if I really need to.

I think its cheaper when purchased as an accessory to a processor... but seriously, keep your $5, it makes little to no difference unless you're incredibly anal about it.

-Frank

i like ceramique

i bought it along with my proccessor

and even though id never put any thermal compound on a proccessor, it was pretty easy to spread and what not

it wont make much of a difference if you use your as2, or if you go out and buy a new tube

The actual 'thermal' properties of the compound aren't going to deminish after sitting around. It is the tiny particles of silver that do that, and they don't 'dry out' like the silicon or whatever substance it is based in.

-Frank

Very long shelf life- it's still fine. Go ahead and use it :)

Pretty good question, BTW- always better to ask when unsure about something with easily damaged computer parts: it can save big money in the long run!

a c i d.f l y said:
If the compound isn't hard, it should be fine. Thermal compound makes a difference of 1-3°C MAX. So I wouldn't worry about it too much... I used 3 year old anti-bacterial cream for 2 months before I got my new chip with free silver compound... keep your $5 for something in the future.

-Frank

Not really.. if you compare white goop to a proper application of say.. Shin Etsu, then there will be at LEAST a 6*C difference

shin etsu alone performs about 2-3*C better than AS3, and AS3 performs way better than white goop

TerroH8er said:

and AS3 performs way better than white goop

No, it performs maybe at most 3C better like stated, most people put the white goop down because they THINK it is so much worse, it isnt if it is applied right. I used the coolermaster "white goop" because it was $8 cheaper @ the time, it brought my load temp down 5C from the retail stuff that was preapplied to my HSF. The white stuff is good, much better than the stuff they usually have on HS's, and it is usually a lot cheaper.

Shin etsu is the best though IF you apply it correctly.

Yeah I forgot the last review, but it said it got the lowest temp, and after it settled it was the coolest. Weird huh.

Might want to wait a couple of days for the Nanotherm PCM+ - its supposed to be a liquid compound, easy to apply and turns solid in a few seconds. frozencpu and xoxide are supposed to have them.

come and get me baby, im waiting :p

if i had that old as2 laying around anywhere for 1.5 years, i wouldnt trust it, but then again im poor, so i would still use it. :D

I still havent run out of AS2 from Nov. 2001 & I havent been to careful about storing it. It still works just about the same & see no harm using it.

Back