• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nb/south bridge cooling options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AdvanS13

right now my nf7-s factory nb cooler is fine. seems like a decent vantec designed, if not vantec fan setup. abit forums said its good at least up to 200fsb. keeps my system at 25c so far.

would a zalman all copper passive cool just as good as one of the copper iceburgs?

also, the nforce chip needs cooling as it has no cooling from factory. i really dont want to have something on it i cannot take off. there is no mounting holes around it, so im debating what i will use. again i was thinking the zalman passive, but it says it cannot be removed if you use the adhesive.

what are you guys using?

On my 8RDA+ I switched the stock passive nb cooler to the sb (it had mounting holes) and put an old socket 7 cpu cooler on the nb.

If you don't have holes then you're going to have to use adhesive. Personally i'd epoxy a stock athlon heatsink to it, and if thats not enough passive you can always add a quiet fan. For passive use make sure you have good caseflow.

From what I've been told for mine is use the active cooling on the nb but use the Zalman gold passive heatsink on the sb as it doesn't get as hot as the north. Either way you have to use adhesive for the heatsink on the sb cooler as only a few motherboards these days have sb hsf mounting holes :rolleyes:. I would use the Arctic Alumina as it doesn't conduct electricity, it is permanent though.

By the way, the Zalman is an aluminium heatsink rather than a copper one, though it has a golden colour.

If you happen to get the golden Zalman heatsink, they're bundled with some sort of thermal adhesive so you don't need to get extra ones.

on my southbridge i cut a old cpu cooler to fit but i attached it with superglue in the corner and as3 in the middle wich is not perminant (athough it dose make a bit of a mess it can be cleaned up afterwards)

also i have herd that people mix epoxy with as3 50/50 to get a non permanant bond but im not too sure if it works very well

hehe. for now i just did a makeshift fan stand and put it blowing on the sb. just in case i need to rma it:) doesn't go over 27c.

DSC00043.JPG
:D

I also have a passive NB cooler on an FIC an19e (about the only major difference between that and the board in my sig). I'm thinking about just ripping the fan off my stock AMD HS for the NB cooler and then maybe cutting up the HS for video mem cooling.

i have 2 extra stock athlon hsf's with the fans taken off....could i just put one on the nb and one on sb?...have both passive...i could also always use one of the fans on the nb....altho kinda noisy....and what should i use to secure it?...epoxy works?...does it conduct thermally very well?....and is arctic aluma really worth it?

edit: also what should i use to secure a temp sensor to the bottom of a cpu?

..could i just put one on the nb and one on sb...have both passive...

I would say that's a free mod that couldn't hurt. The fan on the AMD stock isn't real quiet. I was thinking about that too. I just have it lying around and I know I wont be using it for a cpu ever again.

I'm probably going to leave the passive on my nb though. Partly because it's easier and because I also don't know how much better a passive AMD HS would be than what's there already. ??

http://godd.no-ip.org/-=pics=-/me/computer_close.JPG

picture isn't too good but you can see that i used the stock northbridge cooling on the southbridge, and i used the blue orb on the northbridge, as far as attaching it.. for the southbridge, there were holes, and for the northbridge i used epoxy (to go along with the epox board, get it? ;) ) to attach the very corner of the blue orb as the pins on the blue orb were too close together

it seems so large that just the case airflow would cool both off...especially with my 2 front and 2 rear intakes and outtakes...

That's a good point. If you've got some serious airflow the bigger passive cooler should work better. Hmmmm

Back