• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

Ok first id like to appologize if somehow this is a repost-i posted last night seconds before the forums went down and come this morning i couldnt find it (i searched too).

Im running the comp in my sig at 1.45gig, stock volts. load varries between 27 and 29c(closer to 26 when sitting there doing nothing but folding-closer to 29 when folding and runing avant browser-go figure) Im using a vantec aeroflow with a thermal probe. On probe placement: it is flat against the silicon right next to the IHS-the very edge touching the IHS. As i understand it this is how it is supposed to be connected. These temps seem too good to be true. Are they or did i just noob the thermal probe installation?

Well on the applications I have seen WHAT you did was correct, MAYBE it's just a good HSF combo,

BTY get another Video card bro !!!!!!!!!

ya thats what im figuring-the thermostat was set at 73f too so it was chilly in the house and i have perfect cable routing. I think its just an overkill hsf-im still on stock voltage so i shouldnt be putting out much heat and the 1.2 celeron can run stable with a lil green passive northbridge HS so i think im accurate.

as for the vid card-will get a 9500 or 9600 in about a month :D

I don't trust temps anymore (The same MOBO gave different results with 2 different CPU's....both 1.2GHz Tualerons...I actually had 3 of them, but I didn't compare them).

I would Calibrate the sensor.

Yeah sure some manuf. say how accurate their sensors are and stuff, but did your MOBO manuf. use the same circuit?

But your temps might be right, what kinda HSF are you using?
I'm running close to 40C, well it might be a bit higher as it's pretty warm here lately (30C+ all the time in my room).

BTW: I used the same HSF (PEP66 which is kinda hard to put on wrong....well for me it is).

You are measuring the temperature of the circuit board the silicon die is mounted on, far from the actual silicon itself. You would have to remove the IHS to get anything like accurate numbers with a external probe. The diode that serves as the temperature sensor on the cpu itself is situated a lot better to provide revealing information regarding the temperature of the core itself.

larva said:
You are measuring the temperature of the circuit board the silicon die is mounted on, far from the actual silicon itself. You would have to remove the IHS to get anything like accurate numbers with a external probe. The diode that serves as the temperature sensor on the cpu itself is situated a lot better to provide revealing information regarding the temperature of the core itself.

But do motherboards read them accurately? My diode is about +5C off at all times, and the Asus PC probe makes matters worse.

At least with the thermal sensor that came with an aftermarket kit can be calibrated if the facility exists, and this facility is much more likely to be present.

BTW low temps=good temps, just confirm them first by seeing if the HS (but not the fan blades :rolleyes: ) is warm to the touch. If the HS feels cool then you're OK.

L337 M33P said:
But do motherboards read them accurately? My diode is about +5C off at all times, and the Asus PC probe makes matters worse.
While the chips (IC's) used CAN be VERY accurate (Within 1C), some BIOS's plain suck (Updates usually fix it, but not always), software problems is a totally different matter.

L337 M33P said:
BTW low temps=good temps, just confirm them first by seeing if the HS (but not the fan blades :rolleyes: ) is warm to the touch. If the HS feels cool then you're OK.

WRONG, If the HS doesn't get warm it might mean there's poor heat transfer, usually a warmer HS means better heat transfer.

my motherboard must be messed up coz my its says my system temp idles at 28, but my cpu temp is at 100? i inabled in the bios that if it gets to 60 degrees, it'll automatically shut down. it hasn't shut down ever since. i have a P4 1.6GHz with stock HS, i replaced the fan with a 70mm, i think. my motherboard still reads the same temps. i have a window type A/C in my room, and its very cold in here, but still it doesnt help.

Back