• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fridge pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CamH

I don't have it running yet, but I do have two pics. One of the stuff in the fridge, and one of the line that I accidently cut.

http://morongames.com/fridge/

I don't really want the hard drives or PSU in there. I'll have to find a way to extend their wires later.

What I was thinking of doing is mounting the PSU right next to the compressor, and buying a small case just for drives.

I'm thinking of trying this as well, but take a look at that water :eek: .

Someone said that hard drives don't like cold temperatures, is that true?

Oh. Don't worry about that water in the back. It's because I had the fridge door open for a long time, it iced up, and then I unplugged the fridge. :)

The motherboard's been sprayed down with silicon, but I'm told that's not needed. The motherboard, when on, would be warmer than the air around it, and it would not get condensation on it. The same as if you have a warm cup of coffee, it doesn't get condensation, but with a cold coke, you would.

water only condenses on stuff that is colder than the air around it. and since the air inside a fridge is cold, and all of the components on the mobo generate heat, they'll always be a little warmer than the air around it. (unless he opens the fridge and air gushes in) but even then it wouldnt be open for very long. so there wouldnt be any building up. i know there is people who disagree wit me, but all you need to do to prove my point is get a flashlight, and take the cover off of the bulb. then turn it on and set it in the fridge (or even freezer) for about 10 mins. then take it out, and look at how much condensation is in the bulb. (the bulb is constantly generating heat, like the mobo would be)

^ Refridgerant (assuming it is a CFC or HCFC) is meant to be non-flammable. In fact as part of a demonstration of CFCs' desirable properties in 1930 Thomas Midgely breathed in a lungful of dichloroflouromethane and used it to blow out a candle.

There's a piece of useless information for you :D

CamH said:
The motherboard's been sprayed down with silicon, but I'm told that's not needed. The motherboard, when on, would be warmer than the air around it, and it would not get condensation on it. The same as if you have a warm cup of coffee, it doesn't get condensation, but with a cold coke, you would.
yes, you're right.

what about when you leave that system in the fridge overnite. If your system is turned off, wouldn't your motherboard and its components freeze? and when you turn it on next morning, the temperature would rise and wouldn't that cause condensation? I'm just asking. :)

Who the hell turns their computer off at night? :D I never turn it off! My temps at the moment are 41C CPU, 19C system. The high CPU temp is due to the fact that it is a Palomino and the AS3 is kind of messed up.

I am so excited to see this project finished. It looks so cool. Maybe you cna even use it as a fridge to like keep cans of coke or something in their too so its has a dual purpose. Also if u need to turn computer off u cant u set some sort of relay that when u turn fridge off comp turns off too?

Refridgerant (assuming it is a CFC or HCFC) is meant to be non-flammable. In fact as part of a demonstration of CFCs' desirable properties in 1930 Thomas Midgely breathed in a lungful of dichloroflouromethane and used it to blow out a candle.

There's a piece of useless information for you
Nice. I just read up on it and there were people using propane which I guess isnt a 'proper' refridgant. Imagine that though if it was charged with propane and you caught the pipe welding!

CamH said:
Who the hell turns their computer off at night? :D I never turn it off! My temps at the moment are 41C CPU, 19C system. The high CPU temp is due to the fact that it is a Palomino and the AS3 is kind of messed up.
ah ok.

CamH said:
Propane simply burns, it won't explode.

I bet if you get it in the right fuel:air ratio it WILL go boom - like any hydrocarbon. People use it for an extra kick in diesel engines :D

That is a hazard for anyone who has a modded prommie or similar - the propane mod might leak slightly and then it could hit a spark :eek:

Nice. I just read up on it and there were people using propane which I guess isnt a 'proper' refridgant. Imagine that though if it was charged with propane and you caught the pipe welding!

I thought they were using ammonia as a mainstream refridgerant at that time.

L337 M33P said:

I bet if you get it in the right fuel:air ratio it WILL go boom - like any hydrocarbon. People use it for an extra kick in diesel engines :D
HA HA HA HA HA LOLLL..... Lol Lol......... boom.. rotf.gif haha oh that was funny. thanks for the laugh. :) you the man.

Back