• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Venting....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the best place for slits will be at the bottom to let cool air in. The powersupply will have a fan to exhaust hot air out the top of the case on the back. To increase case cooling i'd add another fan to the back of your case and bundel up any wires.

That could work and it would be a passive (re: low noise!) method of increasing ventialtion and improving temps....and here is the but!

BUT- airflow is tricky and does not always flow just where you think it will. If you have active cooling (fans) for most of your airflow those vents may change a pattern that is already working.

Most common with overclockers is forcing airflow where we want it with fans :D and many use the same concept with a fan- called a blowhole (fan is exhausting air out the top of the case.)

I generally try to test case ventilation mods with cardboard before committing myself by cutting a case up; if you can doing that may save you headaches caused by having a hacked up case ;)

All that said, I did build one system that uses only exhaust fans at 7 volts and its cooling performance is quite good. Passive cooling tricks can work very well but they are harder to figure out than forced airflow.

Back